leak in basement shower/tub

Users who are viewing this thread

springville

Reaction score
I have a basement bathroom with a shower/tub. The other day I noticed that the baseboards in the bathroom were wet. I suspected that the plumbing was leaking so I cut a hole to check it out. It was completely dry. No leaks. The tub has a three piece surround. I think it might be acrylic or something. I removed the caulking around were the surround meets the tub and discovered that there is water coming from that space. I seeps out very slowly and accumulates in the tub lip. Could this be coming from and upstairs bathroom? I see no other signs of a leak (no damp walls. ceilings etc.). The wall on the other side of the area is concrete so I can't get in there to check it out. Also, I don't have easy access to the plumbing in the upstairs bathrooms to check if it is leaking. Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Take a level and check the tub - both front to back and end to end. If it is out of level, water can pool and give you grief. Also, it's possible the toilet is leaking. Depending on what you have on the floor, it can migrate a ways before it shows up. You can take the trim off of the valve in the tub and look behind there to see if the plumbing is leaking. A basement could also be experiencing ground water. Has it been raining a lot or has the snow been melting recently? this can raise the water table, and if drainage isn't great, you can get water places you don't normally do.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks