Leak in American Standard single-handle shower valve

Discussion in 'Shower & bathtub Forum & Blog' started by VT Pats Fan, Dec 20, 2006.

1. VT Pats Fan

VT Pats Fan New Member

My local plumber installed a valve repair kit and invoiced me $300+ parts+labor, and it STILL LEAKS, worse than before!:mad:

$85 - diagnose
    $85 - pickup ordered part (grrh, ship it to my house..)
    $85 - install valve
    $75 - repair kit

Now he wants to cut through the wall and replace the whole thing with Moen.
    It will cost me at least another $500.

All for a small drip, drip, drip !!

How should I deal with this issue. I just want to pay a fair price for a simple repair!

FRUSTRATED IN VERMONT..
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2006
  2. Randyj

Randyj Master Plumber

I would be tempted to ask for my money back and call another plumber. I don't know if it's just that I'm good or he's bad but I've never seen a leak that I couldn't fix one way or the other unless the fixture/valve is busted/cracked or badly ate up in which case a good inspection would have told me whether or not to order a repair kit/cartridge or whatever...
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Did he tell you why it was still leaking. I bet he has the wrong parts or has them in wrong. How old is the valve?