Leak in American Standard single-handle shower valve

Users who are viewing this thread

VT Pats Fan

Reaction score
My local plumber installed a valve repair kit and invoiced me $300+ parts+labor, and it STILL LEAKS, worse than before!:mad:

$85 - diagnose
$85 - pickup ordered part (grrh, ship it to my house..)
$85 - install valve
$75 - repair kit

Now he wants to cut through the wall and replace the whole thing with Moen.
It will cost me at least another $500.

All for a small drip, drip, drip !!

How should I deal with this issue. I just want to pay a fair price for a simple repair!

FRUSTRATED IN VERMONT..

Last edited:

Randyj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
I would be tempted to ask for my money back and call another plumber. I don't know if it's just that I'm good or he's bad but I've never seen a leak that I couldn't fix one way or the other unless the fixture/valve is busted/cracked or badly ate up in which case a good inspection would have told me whether or not to order a repair kit/cartridge or whatever...

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
Did he tell you why it was still leaking. I bet he has the wrong parts or has them in wrong. How old is the valve?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks