Leak in a "Delta 400" kitchen faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

GG_Mass

Reaction score
I replaced the ball assembly and the O-rings. But, the leak does not stop.
If I tighten the cap more on the tighter side - the leak is from the ball assembly area, if I tighten any more on the loose side - then there's a leak from under the cap/O-ring area.

I can't get this right not matter how I try, any advice please ?
Should the ball be in a certain angle when I'm tightening the cap.. Should I close the cap REAL tight ? -I've been avoiding from doing this so far..

Here's a link for an exploded view of the faucet.
https://www.google.com/search?q=140_440__70701_Rev_B.pdf&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8
Any advice is welcome.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
You should have replaced the seats and springs, the white cam and the black rubber seal beneath the cam. Trying to do the minimum repair will almost always result in something leaking.

At the time, I followed the troubleshooting guide on Delta's website and- was told to replace ball assembly and O-rings.
After reading your reply I went into a local Ace Hardware and was glad to see they stock Delta repair kits, I replaced the cam and packing, and the seats and springs, the faucet is better now, almost not leaking but not perfect yet.

I also find that the handle is a bit harder to move and has some drag to it when first pulling it up in order to get the water flowing. I guess I tightened the cap too much, or rotated the plastic adjuster which seats inside the cap.

Thank you for your advice so far.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Not sure of that as well. It's supposed to be pretty simple..

However, every time I take of the cap and reassemble it back, I get different results.. or a leak from a different spot. It is a pretty old faucet maybe it's due to that.. but, I did replace new parts and by now I would expect it so be just fine..

Is there a certain part that's responsible for how "smooth" the handle movement is ? Would it be the tightness of the cap - which puts more pressure on the ball assembly ?

GG_Mass

Reaction score
I'm not sure how to date it, did not find any s/n on it.
Everything in the house seems atleast 20 years old, I would not be surprised if it's more than that as well.

I did not feel the drag at the first attempts of disassembling/assembling the parts, only after buying more parts - seats and spring + cam and packing and putting it all together. I also thing there's too much pressure on the ball, but - If I loosen things up - water will start leaking. Not a fun game..

Reach4

Reaction score
I would lube things that move, including O-rings, with light coat of silicone grease made for plumbing.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Still, having issues with this. I ended up replacing:
O rings
Seat & Springs
Cam and Packing
Ball assembly

Greased O rings and rubber seats with silicone grease.

Water is leaking from under the bonnet nut. There is an O ring right under it, and it seems to lock well in place, but, that's the area where water
is leaking under.
What's the next step ? should I replace the bonnet nut, could it have gotten slightly deformed with time? or with my removing/replacing it back and forth ?

GG_Mass

Reaction score
There is NO "O" ring under the bonnet nut.

mm.. when I look at the exploded view (link is in the first post), it seems that an O ring is what comes between the bonnet nut and the stem.
Doesn't it ? part description is RP25 .

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That is one of the two spout "O" ring seals. They fit into the grooves on the faucet body. If you have an "O" ring under the bonnet, then that is why you are having problems.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
That is one of the two spout "O" ring seals. They fit into the grooves on the faucet body. If you have an "O" ring under the bonnet, then that is why you are having problems.

Here in the picture is where I place an O ring, does that not belong there ?

20150125_153454.jpg

I tried removing the O ring and placing the bonnet without it, but the leak only increased.

Also, where the arrow points, there a small plastic adjuster, not sure how to call it, and it can used to apply more/less pressure to the cam and packing (which then applies more pressure to the ball), I am currently not tightening that adjuster at all, just enough not to have it moving freely. Could that be something that I'm not doing right ?
20150125_152945.jpg

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would remove the o-ring from where it is now. Then remove the spout. Then the o-ring should go in a groove in the valve body. Slide the spout back over the valve body and reassemble everything. If you replaced the springs and the little rubber seats ball etc it should tighten up and not leak. Page 8 in this link has trouble shooting tips:
http://docs.homeclick.com/PE-Links/Delta/Delta-400LF-WF-install.pdf

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
It is "obvious: that you are not doing something right, otherwise you would not be having problems. That "O" ring does NOT belong there. The seal on the ball is made by the black rubber "disc with a hole in it", which goes under the white "cam". IF you do not have that "O" ring in the top groove on the body, then THAT is where the leak is, not the cap.

GG_Mass

Reaction score
Okay, I think it's better now.

As Smooky and HJ suggested, I was placing the O ring at the wrong location. I followed Smooky's instructions and the tap works without any leaks for a couple of days now.

Thank you for your help.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks