Leak from tub shower

Users who are viewing this thread

ricksterv4n1x8

Reaction score
After a couple of years of intermittent problems (and time-consuming repairs) I think I have determined where our tub-shower leaks - through the opening in the wall where the spout comes out. When somebody showers the water drips down the wall, hits the spout and enters the wall from there.

How should this be sealed around here? The current spout has no escutcheon plate and no grouting. The water fromn the shower just hits it and (I think) snakes its way into the wall and onto out newly repaired den ceiling. Any advive would be helpful. Thanks

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Remove the spout. Depending on how big the clearance is around the pipe coming out of the wall, you should fill it with caulking or plumbers putty. Then put the spout on. You can try to seal the edge of the spout to the tile with caulk. It takes a little patience to get a neat job here, but it is worth the trouble.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
leak

Given the way the spout is usually installed, that would be possible, but not usually the cause. But a simple bead of caulking where the spout touches the tile would be enough to eliminate that as the potential source.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

I would go to the access door and put a bright light there. Then splash water on the business side of the tub surround with a pan or glass and then look in the access. You may be surprised to find more than one leak.
Then you can determine if you need to putty, caulk or both.......

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks