Leak from toilet tank

Users who are viewing this thread

ElleMD

Reaction score
I have a Kohler toilet that is only about 2 years old that is leaking from the tank. There is a plastic tube with a brass fitting that attaches the tank to the water shut off at the floor level. The leak appears to be coming from the brass fitting. It seems to be tightly sealed (it isn't loose in other words) but water steadily drips from there. I can't tell if there is a seal of some kind in the inside or if this is something easily replaced. Like I said, the house nad therefore the toilet are only 2 years old are not frequently used.

Any ideas or should I just call a plumber? Is this something a reasonably handy do it yourselfer who has little experience with plumbing can handle?

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
It is probably easy to fix. If it is leaking at either end of the tube it is probably an internal seal such as a small ferrule around the tube. You can try to fix the detail problem or just replace the tube with fittings.

Turn off the supply valve (sometimes hard to turn) where the pipe comes out of the wall. Flush the toilet to get most of the water out of the tank, just in case you loosen something when removing the flexible tube.

Remove the flexible tube at both ends and take it to HD or some other convenient hardware store and get another one with the same type of end fittings. Find a tube which will probably be flexible with stainless steel braid on the outside, with end fittings that match the one you will have in your hand. When you install it, you can curl or bend the new tube to accommodate the extra length.

If it is leaking before the valve, then you may have a bigger problem. Fixing it will depend on the type of connection to the valve. Come back and tell us more details if that is the problem.

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
leak

Just a added note.

Look real good at the nut that holds the fill valve solid to the tank. I've seen them develop a leak quite a while after the installation.

Normally just requires a little snugging............

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks