Leak from the shower on the 2nd floor

Users who are viewing this thread

Jechow

Reaction score
Hello. From the 1st floor I can see a water stain on the ceiling just underneath the 2nd floor shower. Before bringing in a professional, I would like to try to repair the drain as per instructions such as

I took a look at my drain and I can't see a strainer body (see photo). Is my only option to repair the leak by opening up t ceiling? Thanks.

IMG_20150716_055353.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Once drywall gets soaked, it usually needs to be replaced, so since you cannot locate the source of the leak without access...I'd probably remove that section now. Once you've discovered where it's leaking, then you can figure out how to repair it. When standing in the shower, do you feel any deflection? That's often one of the biggest contributors to leaks, often because of the warping, or in the worst case, stress cracks. Flexing things can also open up a seam, and allow moisture out. SO, it might not be the drain. I can see what looks like a lot of caulk around the drain. On most of those, it should be water tight without the caulk, so it appears, it has happened before and someone tried to patch it.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
Most drains for composite shower pans are held on by a large nut which is installed from the bottom of the pan.

Jechow

Reaction score
Once drywall gets soaked, it usually needs to be replaced, so since you cannot locate the source of the leak without access...I'd probably remove that section now. Once you've discovered where it's leaking, then you can figure out how to repair it. When standing in the shower, do you feel any deflection? That's often one of the biggest contributors to leaks, often because of the warping, or in the worst case, stress cracks. Flexing things can also open up a seam, and allow moisture out. SO, it might not be the drain. I can see what looks like a lot of caulk around the drain. On most of those, it should be water tight without the caulk, so it appears, it has happened before and someone tried to patch it.

Hi jadnashua

Thanks for your reply. When standing in the shower, the bottom feels solid and doesn't flex. I agree that there is a lot of caulk around the drain and in the drain and you are probably correct that someone has done a patch job on the drain. Thanks for you advice.

Jechow

Reaction score
Most drains for composite shower pans are held on by a large nut which is installed from the bottom of the pan.

Thanks. I will likely open up the 1st floor ceiling and "rebuild" the drain as required. Given the shower pan is sitting on the drain will I need to take off the shower pan t00?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
THere's typically a gasket, sometimes a washer, and a big nut on the bottom of the shower pan. The washer helps to apply pressure on the gasket evenly and helps to prevent it from bunching up when tightening the nut. On some pans, the finish on the bottom around the drain can be rough, making it really tough for the gasket to seal...it usually works much better if it is smooth. If they used caulk in there, you may never get things apart or be able to tighten up the nut. You'll need a quite big pair of pliers or a special wrench to tighten that nut.

On some, the vertical drain pipe just fits in a compression sleeve. On either type, if the alignment of the vertical is off, that angle can mean it's almost impossible to get even pressure on the gasket and a leak, while not guaranteed, is common.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks