Leak from replacement drain gasket

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Paddy Coughlin, Dec 29, 2004.

1. Paddy Coughlin

Paddy Coughlin New Member

I just replaced a bathroom faucet set on a Corian lav but could not stop the drain gasket from dripping. Assuming that I did not seat it uniformly, I installed a new gasket and paid close attention to getting it squarely seated. I am still getting drips.

The replacement set is good stuff (Giagni) and I don't suspect a quality problem. Before screwing the sink flange onto the drain rim assembly, I cleaned the opening and caulked the underside of the flange with the recommended silicone caulk.

The original installation is 20 years old. It looks like some water migrated from the countertop via the hot water faucet over time and discolored the area around the bottom of the sink opening. Is this a typical problem that might be causing the poor seal? Any and all tips on how to get this baby seated will be appreciated.

Best regards,

Paddy Coughlin
  2. breplum

breplum Member

Loosen the nut and flat metal washer so that you can pull down the rubber washer. Dry the fine threads and run a small silicone caulk bead where the washer will make contact. Then tighten back up.
  3. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

I usually use my thumb to fill the threads on the drain body where the heavy gasket will sit, with plumbers putty. Otherwise, even though the gasket seals perfectly well against the bottom of the sink, a drop of water travels down along the threads just in time to ruin your day!