Leak Detection System

Users who are viewing this thread

Zorka

Reaction score
Hello,

I'm in the process of re-plumbing the supply lines in my house. I will be incorporating leak detection sensors near all connection points as an extra level of defence against water damage (fitting leak, laundry hose leak, toilet tank leak, etc.). The sensors will feed back to a controller in the basement and, if any sensor detects water, the water service right after the water meter will be shut off (upstream of the branch to the cold manifold and the hot water tank).

My question is if anyone has a recommendation for a valve that I can use for this purpose (and a supplier). An obvious option is a solenoid valve, but I don't like the idea of having to continuously energize a normally-closed valve to keep it open, or a normally-open valve to keep it closed. An electrically actuated ball valve would be preferred.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help out. This forum has been a great learning tool, it is very much appreciated.

Zorka

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. Yes, those appollo valves are exactly what I am looking for.

In the past I have mounted an air cylinder to the handle of a regular ball valve and used the the leak sensor to trigger a pneumatic solenoid that fires the cylinder. Not the prettiest solution (need to leave a small compressed air tank nearby), but under $50 and doesn't require changing the valve.

Lakee911

I&C Engineer (mostly WWTP)
Reaction score
appollo makes electric ball valves the activate to open and then activate the other way to close.

These are good, but make sure you periodically exercise them....wouldn't want them to bind up after a few years and not close when you want them to. You may want to consider UPS power in the event that you have a leak with the power off.

Jason

harrywilson

Reaction score
Water Leak detection systems, Raychem system, mapped and zone water leak detection. Water Leak Detection can be simple or complex but always requires careful consideration towards the application that allows access to the tape long after the construction teams have completed their works.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks