Leak at main stack

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by john6601, Aug 10, 2005.

1. john6601

john6601 New Member

I have water leaking down the main stack and have found that the source of the leak is the top (second) floor sink and shower. The toilet is not contributing to the leak. The stack is exposed in the basement, but is behind plaster walls in the kitchen and second floor bathroom. I’m not sure where to start breaking things out. Where does it make sense to make holes; the kitchen ceiling, kitchen wall, or bathroom floor? Any ideas? How would a professional plumber approach this problem?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak

The shower being part of the leak makes it more difficult since that means the leak has to be in the ceiling/under the floor. It is probably a cracked fitting, so the best way is to open the ceiling in the lower level and try to access it from there.
  3. john6601

john6601 New Member

However, leaking also occurs when the bathroom sink is on. This makes me think there is a problem at the main stack underneath where the shower and sink are connected, but above where the toilet is connected as the toilet does not contribute to the leak.
  4. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

Leaak

I think HJ is right...
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

leak

The shower and sink could connect at the same level as the toilet, or below it, but it would be very unusual for that connection to be above the toilet connection.