Leak at flush valve gasket - How to fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

vivona

Reaction score
I replaced the flush valve in an old Crane toilet. The original beveled gasket between the flush valve and the hole in the bottom of the tank was a softer material that sealed well despite there being a small chip in the inside tank edge of the hole. The replacement flush valve uses a harder rubber beveled gasket that only contacts the edge of the tank hole, so water now leaks through the chipped area.

By the way, the original flush valve was not leaking, but since it was 29 years old I wanted to change it out while I was replacing the tank to bowl gasket which was leaking. Now I wish I had left the flush valve assembly alone.

So, what are my options?

I tried fitting a piece if rubber in the chipped area and installing the flush valve, but it still leaked.

If I could find a flush valve gasket that was of a softer material so it would compress down around the tank hole, it would also press into the chipped area and seal the way the original gasket did. Does such a gasket exist?

Would putting some GOOP or a similar glue in the chipped are and installing the flush valve work or would it eventually leak?

I am sure this problem has happened with other toilets. What is the proper way to fix it? I really don't want to replace the toilet if I can avoid it.

vivona

Reaction score
Well, for some reason few read this posting and so far nobody has replied. Odd... I guess flush valves aren't as interesting as other toilet items.

I am going to try filling in the chip with JB Weld. Hopefully, that will work. Anybody have an opinion on that solution?

Plumber1

Plumber
Reaction score
You can buy a thinner or thicker soft, beveled gasket that your looking for at most hardware stores.

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
#1 If it ain't broke don't fix it.

#2 look around for a softer gasget, you should be able to find one, if you can't you can always get one direct from Crane.

vivona

Reaction score
Thanks for the input. I found a sponge spud gasket at ACE hardware that was exactly the same size as the beveled gasket. I have installed it and tightened until the flush valve was firm. No leaks after two hours, so I guess we can call this a success.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks