Leak around tiles (I think)

Users who are viewing this thread

Halbert

Reaction score
I have what I think is a tile problem around a tub, but need help with diagnosing the problem and then with a fix. Can someone recommend the best way to seal the gaps between old ceramic tiles?

The bathroom is 75 years old and until about a year ago never leaked. The tiles are set very close together with obvious gaps (say, several 1/32 inch and one or two slightly larger) in the grout.

My leak is not from the plumbing. I say that because when I run the shower through an irrigation pipe directly through the tub, there are no leaks. But when someone is in the shower or the spray is directed onto the side wall, a steady stream of water flows onto the ceiling below. I caulked between the tub and wall but it did not help the problem.

One plumber and one tile guy told me that everything has to be ripped out and replaced -- at about $2,000. I would like to try regrouting or some other way of sealing the small gaps in the tile, but have been told (and read here) that water can permeate the grout. Any on how to proceed and how to seal?

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
The techniques used today are different than they were 80-years ago, materials are different, too. The level of workmanship changes as well, although you can still find people that take pride in their work, it is harder than it used to be.

The joint between the tub and the tile by todays standards should be caulked. Same is true for corners - anywhere there is a change of plane.

My guess is that the tub is no longer level, and the joints are troublesome.

You may be able to caulk the junction of the tub to tiled walls. Missing grout can be a problem, but it s more likely to be a corner or the tub/wall junction where it is funneling water.

Neither grout nor tile is totally waterproof, but normally, you only get very small amounts behind the surface and that is rarely liquid unless it condenses. A vapor barrier keeps that from creating problems in the wall cavity.

Replace the missing grout, caulk the tub/tile junction and check the corners for cracked grout. that may resolve it for awhile, but at 80-years, maybe it is time to update?! Check out www.johnbridge.com for some tiling help.

TedL

Reaction score
"Steady stream".......

Check that side wall for a soap dish or other insert that is catching and directing water behind the tile due to missing caulk/grout.

Halbert

Reaction score
Standard grout

Thanks for the input. Should I use standard grout and then a sealer, or should I use something more waterproof (and if so, what?)

Any tips for removing the old grout where the tiles are very close together? I have a grout saw but it seems too wide to reach between the tiles.

By the way, the caulk around the tub is new and in good shape, and the leak appears to be from the middle of the wall.

TedL

Reaction score
If there's grout in the joints that takes work to remove, just leave most of it. Scrape a little off the top to get the fresh new look.

A pointed can opener (punch type or "church key") makes a good, cheap removal tool.

Use grout and sealer. If the tiles are as close as you indicate, that's non-sanded grout.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I use my dremel with grout removal bit. They make bits as narrow as 1/16", which should do you. I get them from a discount place cuz dremel charges way too much for them.

http://leakyshower.com/regroutingbits.htm

Once you remove the old grout, if the tiles start popping out, you will have to remove them and at least do a partial c-tile job.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks