Lead sleeve - what does it do?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by TedL, Jan 22, 2007.

1. TedL

TedL New Member

I found my basement toilet drain has a lead sleeve over the flange going into the cast iron. What purpose does it serve? To smooth the inside surface when a set screw mounted flange has been used??

If I remove this sleeve to inspect the flange and replace the toilet mounting bolts, are replacements (or substitutes) still available?
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

lead

We would have to see a picture, because usually that lead "sleeve" is the actual drain pipe for the toilet.
  3. TedL

TedL New Member

4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

pictures

You were too close and/or used too high of a resolution for the pictures. They are huge and blurred.
  5. TedL

TedL New Member

Clicking on the link and resizing the Explorer window to about a quarter of the screen lets them show well.