Lead Risers? Where's the Flange? Need Advice?

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by ssspargur, May 13, 2010.

1. ssspargur

ssspargur New Member

I've read a ton of other peoples posts on this subject and I hate to beat a dead horse, but.... Toilet was leaking so I took it off just thinking it might be a wax ring replacement. Well, what I found and the fact that I am planning on removing the old floor layers in the entire bathroom (re-floor) made me think I should get some additional advice. (Excuse me if I use the wrong terminology, my LIMITED knowledge is base only on what I've picked up on forums.

So from bottom to top, what I found was a CI hub--lead pipe--lead riser--another lead riser--smooshed wax ring. No flange anywhere. From what I've read with lead risers, there should be a brass flange soldered to the riser.

I'm planning on stripping the layers of my floor and laying some tile. So if I'm going to get dirty with this toilet, now's the time. I know I am going to have to replace some subfloor from the water damage. I guess what I'd like to know is my options. Any suggestions welcome and I appreciate your time and help. Thank you.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  2. MACPLUMB 777

MACPLUMB 777 TROJAN WORLDWIDE SALES RP

If it was me i would remove "all" that lead down to the tee and

replace with ether a piece of 4" cast iron or sch. 40 pvc sewer pipe

then you can install a proper flange,

any thing with that lead will just be make do and always a source of leaks !

If this looks more then you can handle i would at least get a professional plumber to

replace the pipe then you can install whatever new flange you need after the flooring

is complete !
    Last edited: May 13, 2010
  3. ssspargur

ssspargur New Member

Materials

Thanks a bunch. That was one idea I thought about. What would you usu, as far as material, at the junction between the CI and the PVC. Thanks again.
  4. Gary Swart

Gary Swart In the Trades

There is a "doughnut" that will make that transition. I think it is a Fernco product.
  5. ssspargur

ssspargur New Member

Donut

Copy that... Thanks... Now I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove the brass ferrule from the CI hub.
  6. shacko

shacko Master Plumber-Gas Fitter

Its not hard to do just a PITA. Drill a lot of holes in the lead thats holding the brass in, then take a screwdriver or chisel and pry the lead out, once you get that done you will probably have to pry the oakum out also. To get a donut for your fitting check the letters on the side of the tee, should be a sv or a xh thats the way you have to buy them, those letters and the type plastic you are using, luck
  7. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Fernco makes those dognuts in 1/16" increments, since each foundry had its own idea of what size to make the CI hub. Get one too small, and it leaks, get one too big and it's a bear to get the pipe inserted (if you can at all)...so, measure it once you get the lead out and the interior brushed of any crud (old oakum, etc.).