Lead problem

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Michaela521, Oct 23, 2005.

1. Michaela521

Michaela521 New Member

Hello,

I have a problem. I mixed up my electrical wire solder (stuff with lead in it) with my plumbing solder when I repaired my 5/8" copper pipe for a hydrant that waters my horses. I only used it to on 2 joints but should I still be worried. Thanks :D
  2. No problems

thats not a very big deal .....just two joints

their are many homes with total lead solder

I doubt two lead soldered joints in the line

are gonna kill anybody in our natural lifetimes.
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

solder

There never was a solder with all lead in it. But your only concern would be if it was rosin core solder, it might not have made a good joint, but even then it is probably not a major concern.
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Even in homes plumbed before the ban on SNS/PB, the level of lead in the water is usually very very low. An inexpensive test kit can be purchased to test for lead in water ( you have to take a sample and send it to the lab). If even small amounts of lead are detected, this can be remedied by (1) running the tap for a minute or two before using the water. This brings fresh water which has not be sitting in the pipes, where it could leach lead from the joints. (2) install a simple undersink lead-rated filter for drinking.