Lead pipe to cast iron

Users who are viewing this thread

htyner

Reaction score
Hi there. First Tim poster. So I'm updating my bathroom. And now I've run into a problem with the toilet. There's about a two to three foot section of lead pipe extending up from the cast iron pipe. There's no toilet flange. They just beat the snot out of the lead pipe to m make it splat out, creating their own flange, and then screwed the toilet to the sub floor with deck screws. I was told that I could probably chisel out the molten lead so that I could remove the lead pipe extension, but I don't have a lot of room underneath the sub floor and between the floor joists. I'm looking at cutting the lead pipe now, but I'm not sure how far down the extension I need to cut. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

photo 2.jpg
photo 1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

htyner

Reaction score
Sorry. First picture should be rotated counter clockwise and the second should be rotated clockwise

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If there is something wrong with the lead section, it can be removed from the cast iron and replaced with ABS or PVC. If the lead is in decent condition, you can set a repair flange on the floor and peen the lead over the I.D. of the flange.

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
There is nothing wrong this what you should do. if you can not hire a real plummer
Straighten out the lead so it goes up out of the floor. There should be about 2 inches of lead with no cracks above the finished floor. Then buy a brass toilet flange and screw this to the floor with toilet bolts in the flange. Then very carefully hammer the lead over the flange covering it completely except for the toilets bolts that should stick up straight. install a new wax seal on the toilet bowl and install bowl and tank. If the lead is cracked then it will have to be replaced with a repair sleeve this is a job for only old school plumbers. Lead toilet stubs are the best those plastic toilet flanges are for amateurs.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Well, personally, running a CI from the CI hub is probably the most robust method verses lead, but lead is certainly a bit more flexible. There is no clamping fitting you can safely use to connect lead to plastic. If what you have isn't long enough to make an effective seal above the floor, you'll either need a plumber competent in the old methods, or remove the lead from the CI hub and convert to plastic. A plastic flange with a SS ring is what you want if you go that way...do not use an all-plastic toilet flange. IF you're remodeling, keep in mind the design location for a toilet flange is on top of the finished floor (and anchored solidly through it with no space beneath). It will work lower, but if you're going to change, why not make it as designed?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks