Lead pipe sizes

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by rockycmt, Mar 13, 2009.

1. rockycmt

rockycmt New Member

What are the standard lead pipe diameters around the 4 inch mark? I ask cause I have 2 pipes. One I cut and put a 4" boot to convert to PVC. The other I did not do just yet cause it looks slightly smaller that the first. did a circumference test and it is definitely smaller that the first. Seems like 2 inch cir difference. Afraid the 4" boot will be too loose. house is from the 50's

Thanks
  2. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Putting a rubber coupling on lead is not a good idea.You need to cut back to the solid pipe then go from there.Is it C.I. or copper that the lead is connected to?
  3. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

lead

Lead is not a good candidater for a compression joint because it CAN compress. Even the brass ferrule that the lead is soldered to is tapered so it should also be removed and the connection made differently.
  4. cwhyu2

cwhyu2 Consultant

Forgot to mention the brass ferrule.Need to go back to the best section of pipe.
    Be it C.I. or copper.They where using DWV copper in the 50`s
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

bend

I doubt, and have never seen, a lead closet bend used with a copper DWV system.