lead flange base

Users who are viewing this thread

not setting pretty

Reaction score
My upstairs toilet started to leak, so I replaced the wax ring and was fine for about two months, and it started to leak again. I removed the toilet again and don't want to just replace the ring and have the same thing happen. I may not have done it right the first time because of a couple of things I never seen before. This is the only toilet I've seen that has four lag bolts that go into the floor with threaded nuts that hold the toilet down. There is a lead flange on the floor and that's it. I would like to replace the toilet but is there anyway to install a new flange with the lead flange there? Or what will have to be done.The floor is still solid so I don't see that being a problem.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
It's my understanding that they normally solder a brass ring onto the lead toilet bend that can then be bolted to the floor. Sounds like they ommitted that step on yours, and more than a few of the really old toilets had those extra bolt holes in them to hold the toilet steady.

The bolts at the lead opening can be used to install a new toilet. Because this whole thing is likely pretty close to the the level of the finished floor, you may need a thicker wax ring to ensure you get a good seal. A combination of snugging the toilet with the bolts then caulking around the front part of the toilet should hold it in place. Make sure that the toilet does not rock...use shims if required. If it rocks at all, you'll break the wax seal as it isn't springy, compress it, and it stays compressed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks