Lead Bend Pipe with no Flange???

Users who are viewing this thread

cluenek

Reaction score
Ok, first thanks for all the advice in advance. This is a great forum.

So I started a partial demo on a 2nd floor 1930's bathroom. Tore out 3 layers of vinyl and 1x5x3/4 layer of T&G pine. I'm left with another layer of 1x5x3/4 T&G pine for a subfloor. My plan is in stall a new toilet, new vanity and new 1" hex tiles. Intial plan was to install 1/2" exterior ply and 1/4" cement board over the existing T&G pine until I came across this. Oh nothing is easy.

Underneath the vinyl surrounding the wast line is, 1"x18" slab of stone either slate or blue stone(I think). At the moment I cannot remove it, not sure if I even should, becuase the waste line I believe is a lead bend and it tapers out above the stone slab, there is a height difference b/w the stone and taper of about 1/2". Did I mention there is currently no flange, just a loose ring around the pipe for the lag bolts, at least there was a wax ring. Do I need to add a flange? I would think yes, if so what kind. Also, I'd like to remove the stone slab, so I can reduce the height of the overall floor. This would also mean cutting the pipe to achieve the desire floor height. My access under the floor is limited. Toilet is going be Toto Dartmouth.

If needed I can supply a picture, I'm not on location at the moment. I am the homeowner, money is limited becuase this house needs a descent amount work, though I'm doing most of it.

Thanks again.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

From your description, that loose ring may be the flange, especially if it brass. The lead bend fits through it and then is flared over it. Sometimes it is soldered to the bend, and other times it just acts as a base to keep the lead in place and the wax ring presses against the lead.

cluenek

Reaction score
Thanks for the response. Question though, please excuse the ignorance, a closet flange and closet ring are not one in he same correct. I believe, I just have a closet ring, I'm pretty sure it's brass, but there is nothing petruding from the bottom of the ring. Can a Close Flange Replacement such as the one made by Oatey work with the lead pipe. The one in which the gasket gets squeeze and pushed. I know lead is soft, just taking a long shot.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
flange

A closet ring and a closet flange are the same. The only difference is that what is usually called a flange, (and some even call it a ring), is that it has a neck on it to attach to the riser pipe. The important part of either is the flat flange that the toilet fastens to. In the case of a lead bend, there is no way to fasten to the riser pipe, so that flange does not need the neck portion, and it would be in the way if it had one.

cluenek

Reaction score
OK, Got it. Does the ring encircle the lead pipe? Basically sliding the ring over the lead pipe. That's how is was installed originally. Or does the ring sit on top of the lead pipe and fitting the lead pipe to form at tight seal. Basically does the bottom portion of the ring, about a quarter inch, sit in the pipe and the top port of the pipe is tappered out underneath the ring?

As always thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks