lavatory faucet for tub filler???

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by chris fox, Sep 25, 2007.

1. chris fox

chris fox New Member

I am installing a freestanding bathub and looking at the idea of using a wall mounted lav. faucet for filling the tub. The faucet is larger in scale compared to others(see pic). Danze offers roman tub filler but dosent work with a freestanding tub.
    My main concerns is GPM, my understanding is tubs dont regulate water flow, right? Where as faucets do.

thanks
    Chris

Attached Files:

2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

You'd likely only get a little over 2gpm out of a sink faucet...bite the bullet and pay for one designed as a tub filler.
  3. to fill a tub fast, use 3/4" shower valves. They will both turn the same direction.

1/2" is the diameter both for roman tub stuff and lavatory stuff.

Which spout to use? i dunno . Mix and match.

david
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

valve

They both turn in the same direction if it has round handles, and even then many manufacturers do not do it so they can send out one valve for both round and lever handles. That wall mount lavatory faucet has a 3/8". or smaller, pipe for the spout, so you might take forever to fill the tub.
  5. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

I installed a Italian tub faucet that had been spec'ed out by the architect.
    The tube going to the tub spout was 1/4" OD tubing.
    I warned the homeowner that it would take forever to fill.
    He got pretty angry with me.

A month later, he called the shop saying the plumber must have made a mistake, the tub took forever to fill.
    I had the last laugh on that one. Yeah, it did take forever.
    He should have been thanking the architect for that one.

If you want to fill a tub, make sure you get a tub faucet.
    Lav faucets by law use less than 2 gallons a minute.