Lavatory faucet brand

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice, Tips & ' started by Arlington22207, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Arlington22207

Arlington22207 New Member

Need to purchase a 4" faucet for a bathroom lav. Any particular brands out there that seem to consistently offer better quality or manufacturing standards?

It's a three-hole, 4" setup in the sink...so that means I can use either a center set or a mini-widespread, is that correct?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 10, 2011
  2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

Quality has pretty much gone out of the picture. Many brands and models are now using a lot of plastic to be LF. Upper bodies are thin to keep cost down.

There are a few solid brass faucets around. T&S and Chicago come to mind. SOME American Standards.

This is not something to lose sleep over, IMHO. Lav faucets are easily REPLACED if all goes bad. So there are two schools of thought: buy the cheapest one you like the looks of; or buy a $300 or $400 faucet, and take your chanceds that it will outlive your investment.'

One strategy I recommend: Buy a faucet your wife loves , in a reasonable price range. BUY TWO. Now you have a full set of ready spares, and by the time that is all used up, its time for bathroom remodel again.
  3. Arlington22207

Great advice, thank you.
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

If you buy a "good faucet" the manufacturer will send you any parts you need so you do not need a second faucet.
  5. Arlington22207

Any recommendations on a "good" faucet manufacturer, then?
  6. Ian Gills

Ian Gills Senior Robin Hood Guy

I like my Chicago faucet.
  7. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

10 years from now, will they send you handles? If a tenatnt never cleaned the faucet, and the spout is scummed up beyond use, will you get that? I think there is a big MAYBE here.'

Also, there are plenty of faucets from "other than mainstream US company", which I might choose to put in lav, for various reasons. As long as I do it with NO assumption that long term parts support will be available.
  8. hj

quote; 10 years from now, will they send you handles? If a tenatnt never cleaned the faucet, and the spout is scummed up beyond use, will you get that? I think there is a big MAYBE here.'

The answer to both questions is "yes", assuming they are still in business, which is why I specified a "good company". Chicago is too "institutional" for most residential work. PricePfister, Delta, and Moen are the most 'customer friendly" companies when it comes to replacing parts, as well as being locally available if the part is needed immediately and has to be purchased.
  9. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

Phister sends me free parts for a kitchen pull out job after 11 years, every year. Even speak english on the phone from the US

I like Moen bath faucets, heavy and long lasting.

My Savoy American Standard toilets even got free flappers after 10 years with a little chatting up.
  10. Ian Gills

But you can't beat the "institutional" look of a Chicago faucet.

It says, "Try to break me", it speaks police station, public bathroom and doctor's surgery.....all in the comfort of your utility room or bathroom.

I always say that if something is good enough for commercial use, then it's good enough for me and my home. Even armored cable for electrical work which I prefer over ROMEX®.

The only exception is a Toto toilet. The commercial ones I have used were dogs.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 20, 2014
  11. Terry

Terry Administrator Staff Member

One of my customers working maintenance at Seatac Airport says the bathrooms with TOTO are the most dependable there.

I just installed a Grohe lav faucet in my main, and will be installing a new Moen ioDIGITAL Vertical Spa in the master shower.
    I love the new Grohe faucet.

concetto_lav.jpg

Grohe Concetto Collection

moen_295.jpg

Moen ioDIGITAL

[video=youtube;VH7nNopt6So]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VH7nNopt6So[/video]
    Last edited: Apr 26, 2011
  12. Ian Gills

Remember to pull the permit before you start that work Terry.

Remember to pull the permit.

Keep it safe, keep it legal.
  13. dlarrivee

dlarrivee New Member

Armoured cable is for use with steel studs, or exposed wiring... Why on earth would you use BX cable in wood studs?
  14. hopes2

hopes2 New Member

Thanks for all the great info Terry,

Can you please give me the straight dope on Grohe and Hansgrohe?
    Is one or the other of higher quality, is one a disenchanted americanized brother of the other?
    I just bought thie pictured Hansgrohe, it appears almost identical to your Grohe.

Thanks....Dan.

Attached Files:

15. ballvalve

ballvalve General Engineering Contractor

I see alot of half eaten wires in garages and attics of houses, which dont get called exposed spaces here. Rats and mice love ROMEX®, but of course you must use it to make cost
  16. Terry

I sell both the Grohe and the Hans Grohe.
    Brothers.
    Both are of good quality. No worries.
  17. Terry

[​IMG]

HansGrohe Lav Faucet
  18. hj

quote; There are a few solid brass faucets around. T&S and Chicago come to mind. SOME American Standards.

As of Jan. 4, 2014, "solid brass faucets" cannot be sold or installed, unless they are made with a more expensive "no lead" brass. That brass is hard to machine which is why companies are going to plastic "water ways".
  19. hj

quote; of course you must use it to make cost

And any dummy can run non-metallic cable, (not all of it is ROMEX®).