Lavatory drain gasket not seating

Users who are viewing this thread

Mrramsey

Reaction score
Greetings. So I was installing a couple of new lavatory faucets for my in-laws. The first one went in perfectly which is what I like to see being that I am a carpenter and not a plumber. Now as best I can tell the circa 1980 cultured marble top was defective from the get go. When I seat the flange in the bowl the tail section clearly is not square to the bottom of basin where it is ground flat. It is off so much that when I tighten the drain gasket one side gets pushed into the hole on the bottom thus does not seal.

Any solutions to this outside of replacing the entire top? Is there an oversized gasket available?

Dj2

In the Trades
Reaction score
I never use the gasket that comes with the faucet. I use plumber's putty instead. Make sure it's soft and elastic.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
Roll it into a snake and put it around the drain. It works just like a gasket only better.

Smooky

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the top side of the cultured marble use the gasket or use clear silicone caulk. The plumbers putty might stain the cultured marble. If the problem is only on the underside of the sink the plumbers putty should be OK.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks