Lav plumbing question

Users who are viewing this thread

r0bh3

Reaction score
Hello, I've been lurking for a while and now it's time to tackle a project of my own.

I would like to locate a Lav in this space. I would like to run the vent vertical in the wall to the left of the window. Question is, can I get there with the trap arm? Can there be a 90* bend in the trap arm and can it extend roughly 60"?

The plan is to have the plumbing concealed under that window with a short wall then it will enter the vanity console from the side.

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A 1.5" lav drain can be 42" to the vent.
You can go 60" with a 2" trap arm.

What you are trying there looks a bit dicey. I can't think of seeing it done that way in the last 38 years of plumbing. I would move the plumber closer to the lav drain.

r0bh3

Reaction score
A 1.5" lav drain can be 42" to the vent.
You can go 60" with a 2" trap arm.

What you are trying there looks a bit dicey. I can't think of seeing it done that way in the last 38 years of plumbing. I would move the plumber closer to the lav drain.

Thanks Terry, I guess I thought I was 'pushing' it a little with this design, hence the reason for the question. You say, move the plumber closer to lav drain, do you mean the vent fitting?

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
Thanks Terry, I guess I thought I was 'pushing' it a little with this design, hence the reason for the question. You say, move the plumber closer to lav drain, do you mean the vent fitting?
I think terry means move the waste pipe closer...not necessarily an easy DIY job. Besides the vent issue...which you could deal with by taking off a vent and running it up and above the window....you would have potential clogging issues with a long trap arm. Unless you were very careful to have slope....assuming you used a 2" drain and it did not exceed 60" then you would have to drop an inch and a quarter . A plumber looking at your house ( the parts we can't see!!) might have better ideas.

r0bh3

Reaction score
Understood, thanks for the replies.

I know these drawings aren't great but here is a little more info. 3" main waste line runs here just under floor in basement, there is a WC about 4' downstream from where I want to tie the Lav drain in, and a shower drain about 1' upstream. Would adding a vent where the yellow line, running it up and over ceiling and tying into existing vent in attic help at all?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks