Lav drain: 1 1/2" with long thread

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by jimathrc, Oct 20, 2012.

1. jimathrc

jimathrc New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to install a custom-made vessel sink on a concrete countertop. I had the sink made for a 1 1/2" drain (probably should have used 1 1/4" I've just learned). The countertop is 1 1/2" thick. I got a standard 1 1/2" pop-up drain, installed it and it leaked. I think the reason was the there is not enough thread sticking through the countertop to get everything together will the washer supplied.

The sink and countertop are in place so I'm trying to find a 1 1/2" drain with a long thread (e.g. 4"). Does such a thing exist? If so, who makes something like that? I've looked on-line at Home Depot, Kohler, etc. with no luck. I will appreciate any pointers.

thx,

Jim
  2. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Unless the sink does not have an overflow, so no water gets into the area below the drain's flange, you will never get it to stop leaking. If it does not have an overflow, then you do not really need any gaskets under the sink so what you have should work.
  3. jimathrc

jimathrc New Member

Hi,

Found the source of the leak: a crack in the flange of the short waste pipe. See attached photo. (I should have seen that when I put it together!)

I put it together with no washers and it's working fine.

cheers,

Jim
    --
  4. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

What photo?