laundry: washing-machine clearance from switches

Users who are viewing this thread

rerickson

experienced amateur
Reaction score
I need to place some controls in the vicinity of our washing machine: switches, fan speed, and a 120V thermostat.
Above the washer, heat from the appliances will affect the thermostat; below the level of the lid or hoses, I'm concerned about splashing; as controls move farther away to the side, they'll start to intrude on a large art work.

Would you consider it safe and prudent to have these controls near the level of the washer lid (or below), and with how much horizontal separation? (At the moment, my sketch has them starting 6" to the side, 10" above the lid; that will require moving the art off-center. Slightly below the lid and 4" to the side would avoid heat issues, but I wonder about water.) There is no sink.

Other than GFCI receptacles, avoiding wet locations, and dedicated w/d circuit, I'm not aware of any applicable Code requirements here, but want to maintain safety.

Thanks for your advice!

H

herrry.james

They move them to other houses, and sometimes sell them. They also recycle them to make new ones, and they get a certain amount of money for the scrap metal, other than the coil and all that.

rerickson

experienced amateur
Reaction score
Reading elsewhere, I notice there isn't even consensus to use GFCI outlets for a laundry if there's no sink -- which suggests that I may be overly-cautious here about controls near the washing machine.
Today's sketch: 10" above and 10" to the side of the lid opening (6" from side of washer); that's also 10" back from the lid. A spraying hose fitting could get it wet, but otherwise secure.

andrew79

Licensed Electrician
Reaction score
I can't confirm this as i'm no expert on the NEC but if there's no washbasin in the laundry then you don't need the gfci's(CEC not NEC). And there's no space requirments between the washer and any switches. Your over analyzing abit i think. Kudos for trying to make things as safe as possible though :)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks