Laundry valve and wall box

Users who are viewing this thread

Taylor

Reaction score
Curious what recommendations plumbers have for their clients for a laundry valve for the washing machine. Reading Peter Hemp's book, he doesn't like the plastic wall box (they break easily) and he doesn't like the one-switch shut-off (hard to replace when the o-rings wear out). I'm considering the Watts Intelliflow, which automatically shuts off the water when the washing machine is not in use [DW was not aware that you are supposed to shut off water to the washing machine when not in use, and laughs at the idea of doing it manually]. I'm guessing this has the same problems as the shut-off valve that Hemp does not like, and even better it comes with a plastic wall box.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
box

Don't bang on the plastic box and it will not break. If you turn off the valves when not in use then join ranks with the 6 or 7 other people in the USA who also do it. Most single lever controls are mounted with a couple of bolts so when they finally fail you can remove the mechanism and replace it. Since 99.9999999999% of the people do not turn them off, almost any system works for them.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Peter Hemp?
I just looked up his instructions for installing a toilet.
I always wondered where homeowners got such crazy ideas.
We had to go out and reinstall a tank one time, because the homeowner had taken off the tank, and installed it the Peter Hemp way.
Of course, then it leaked.
We had to drive out and remove the plumbers putty that Peter likes.

We asked the homeowner, Did it leak when we left the first time?

No.

But Peter Hemp says to use plumbers putty.

DO NOT use plumbers putty to install a tank.
If if Peter tells you to.
I have been installing toilets for 34+ years, no putty in tanks.

By the way, I always like the plastic boxers with the single lever shutoffs.
They don't come with mini-resesters though, so I tend the buy the boxes with miniresters built into the shutoff valve, that normally means two shutoffs.
But come on, these things last for decades.

Taylor

Reaction score
Thanks all for the great feedback.

Re Hemp's book: It's the only thing out there that gives the HO a complete overview of the design and installation of a house plumbing system (which is handy if the existing system is falling apart and needs to be replaced).

Note to self: no putty on the toilet.

BTW re laundry valves lasting for decades: I assume that's because they only get closed when the washing machine is replaced. And no floods because the hoses last longer than the machines.....

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Well there is 2 schools of thought on the life of the valves...
They last a long time either way...

I have trained my wife to shut it off when not in use. Exercised regularly they will last a good long time until one day when they wear out....

Or, never used they will fail the first time you try to use it! That would probably be when you are moving or, replacing the machine...

The black rubber hoses are of limited life and should be replaced every 5 years.
I would recommend using braided stainless steel "No Burst" hoses.
Do not use Watts Floodsafe brand hoses.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks