Laundry/Utility sink drain size.

Users who are viewing this thread

mdr

Reaction score
In the midst of a rehab of our laundry room. Picked lots of good info about venting here -thanks, Terry for the standpipe/sink picture! (lots of sweated joints- I learned about taking your tme, cleaning the fittings, ..., after redoing it several times - but passed an air test yesterday.)

In CA, under UPC, need 2" drain for a laundry tub. Ok, put a 2" drainpipe in the wall. But most of the drain assemblies I see have a 1.5" tailpiece, which one would presumably feed into a 1.5" ptrap - does this comply , ie is the 2" req. only for the pipes in the wall?

Thanks!
Murray

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
A laundry tray uses a 1-1/2" p-trap and arm, into a 2" waste line in the wall. A 1-1/2" vent is fine.

The washer uses a 2" p-trap and standpipe.

laundry-tray.jpg

Last edited:

mdr

Reaction score
Thanks Terry! I really appreciate your running of this forum. You and the other participants provide great advice and perspective.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks