Laundry Tub/Washer with Drain (WRONG)

Users who are viewing this thread

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been scratching my head for a while now and I _think_ I have something that will work... but the little voice at the back of my head is still chiming in to remind me that I don't really know what I'm doing. Here's a sketch of what I've come up with - I'd sure appreciate any advice you'd have for me.

I'd like to move the basement laundry from the back corner to underneath the kitchen. There's an existing 1.25" iron vent pipe and a 1.5-inch ABS drain coming down on either side of a 2" iron drain in the basement floor. I want the laundry tub to the left of the drain and the washer to the right, but the drain is further to the right so the washer drain and the kitchen drain or their vents need to cross. I have lots of room behind the cabinet/washer for the standpipe to come out though, so I thought I'd just put a 45 after the vent to bring the standpipe out from the wall, while keeping the vents all in the plane of the wall.

The rim of the laundry tub will be up nice and high, level with the top of the washer (and the standpipe) so the bottom of the tub will be 23" off the floor. I'm hopeful that'll leave enough room for all the Wyes to stack up there.

Many thanks!

Tim

Attachments

• laundry.jpg
    laundry.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 308

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
1. You cannot connect that top "horizontal" vent to the drain line from the upstairs sink
2. Your drain/vent system is more complicated than it has to be.
3. Where is that 1 1/4" vent connecting to the existing drain system?

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
Thanks, HJ

Right now all there is, is the drain on the right and the vent on the left; they meet just above the drain. I thought the drain would need a vent; that's why I brought the horizontal vent over from the left. It does seem complicated but I wanted all the drains to be vented - I guess that's why I'm pestering you!

Tim

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
HJ,

I'm not sure I understand your questions. The vent on the top left goes up through the roof, it only connects to the existing drain as shown. Today it meets the drain down by the floor but I'd pull that all out so the horizontal vent was above the highest point of the sink/standpipe.

Do I have to bring the vent down so it meets the kitchen drain on the lower horizontal? I can do that but the system sure isn't getting simpler!

Thanks again,

Tim

Attachments

• laundry 2.jpg
    laundry 2.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 252

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
If what I am reading is what exists, then that 1/14" vent has absolutely NO function, and has even LESS function, if that were possible, if you reconnect to the sink drain line ANY WHERE. All you have to do is stack a 2" tee for the washer and 1 1/2" tee for the sink and connect the vent to the top of it.

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
Wow - I do like the sound of that! But then the laundry tub would be the only fixture with a direct vent, and the washer and the kitchen drain would be wet vented? Would the laundry tub pull the water out of the washer's trap? Or is that OK because the washer is bigger?

I did check that the kitchen drain is vented up above, so I guess that's OK.

You know if you keep making the job easier like this, people are going to keep pestering you!

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
Well, good - then maybe I can sneak in one more cartoon. Does it matter whether the (1.5") kitchen drain is on the bottom or the (2") washer?

How's this look?

Thanks, again!

Tim

Attachments

• simple.jpg
    simple.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 248

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
That vent in the basement has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with venting the kitchen sink, unless it was installed by a complete idiot, which is not impossible since he thought he needed that 'useless' vent in the basement. Since the sink should have nothing to do with that vent connect it at the bottom just the way you show it. It will be the easiest way. At least you didn't tell me that I didn't know what I was talking about, which some have done.

Tim Douglas

Reaction score
OK, I think I get that part of it now. And no, I'm not about to tell you that you don't know what you're talking about!

But I'm OK with the laundry tub and the washer sharing that vent? I'd have stopped asking by now but I'm not sure why it's OK when other setups that seem similar to me have separate vents...

Tim

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Som plumbers like to do extra work,(they make more money that way), or they do NOT have enough experience to know that there is more than one way to do a job.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks