Laundry Room Standpipe - trap required?

Users who are viewing this thread

GTADiyer

Reaction score
Hello everyone,
I am in the process of redoing the layout of my laundry room (home is about 17 years old in whitby ontario) and was looking at the the existing plumbing for the washing machine.

My question relates to the p-trap. Does the standing pipe require a p-trap?
The laundry sink is nowhere near the washing machine so it does not feed directly into that line but it comes straight down into the basements, connects to an elbow joint proceeded with a long straight run that feeds into the stack via a y-attachment.

With my investigations I don't think I saw any trap coming into the basement however i didn't look inside the walls.

I can post photos if anyone thinks they will help.

Thanks!

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it did not have a trap, there would be NOTHING to prevent the sewer gas from coming back up the standpipe.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
Rule of thumb is in the civilized world, every drain must have a trap and be vented. Your toilets have a build in trap, everything else has to have one added.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks