Laundry Room Sink and Washer DWV Question

Users who are viewing this thread

Philwgreen

Reaction score
I'm in the process of renovating my laundry room and I'd like to add a sink. The problem is, I'm not sure how to add the sink in conjunction with the washer stand pipe. The standpipe will remain basically where it is now and the sink will be to the right.

My first thought was to put a tee above the washer tee and run my drain and vent pipes more or less like the attached picture (electrical is being relocated). I will also be building a partition wall and ideally I could get everything 'inside' that wall.

Before I started, I thought I'd ask here to see if there is a simple, obvious way that I'm just not seeing.

Thanks in advance.

laundry-room-dwv.jpg

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can cut the sink drain in lower than the washer, extend over and vent it.
The washer santee can be a little higher if needed.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Thanks Terry. Would something like the attached work? If so, is there a minimum length the standpipe needs to be? Just wondering how high up I'll need to put the shutoff box
laundry-room-dwv-correct.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Ok, bringing back an old thread. I started on the project discussed above this weekend. I made some excellent progress: ran most of the DWV and built a 2x6 wall around it to hide it, before I realized there was a big problem. Where the plans called for a washer and dryer....the washer and dryer won't fit. Apparently my wife didn't account for the above mentioned plumbing and 2x6 wall. Fun times. So, now I need to come up with an alternative.

Now, it looks like the best case scenario is to move the washer and dryer to the adjacent wall (see first attached picture). For starters, I'll need to build another 2x4 wall in front of the current (load bearing) 2x4 wall in order to have room for the PVC pipe. All of that to ask this: how to I vent the sink? This particular part of the house was an old porch and sits on a slab. The drain/vent seen in the right side of the second picture cannot be moved easily. The washer standpipe will only be about 12" from the drain so it should be ok. However, the sink will need a vent to the side of the window that ties back in higher up. Would what I have crudely drawn in red work?

Screen Shot 2015-07-05 at 3.41.42 PM.png

vent_idea.jpg

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Another idea..the washer probably should be to the left of the sink (i.e. to the left of the window in this picture.) Something about my attached drawing just looks wrong - but is something along these lines possible? If so, where and how would I tie the vent back into the 2" vent going up and out through the roof?

Also, can the laundry sink be wet vented with the washer standpipe? I'm thinking no, seems like there would be too much water in the 'vent' when the washer discharges as it discharges under some pressure.
wet_vent.jpg

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Ok, another reply to myself....

Reading through some old threads I found the attached image showing basically exactly what I'm trying to do. I've made another drawing attempting to apply those principles to my situation. Assuming everything is correct (not sure on that one) my concern would be the distance between the traps and the main 2" vent. The laundry sink would be about 62" including the 90 turn in the corner. The washing machine standpipe is almost 84" from the 2" vent through the roof. Is that too far? Am I on the right track?

Dave88LX%2520from%2520terry%2520forum%25202.jpg
laundry_dwv.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Ok, another reply to myself....

Reading through some old threads I found the attached image showing basically exactly what I'm trying to do. I've made another drawing attempting to apply those principles to my situation. Assuming everything is correct (not sure on that one) my concern would be the distance between the traps and the main 2" vent. The laundry sink would be about 62" including the 90 turn in the corner. The washing machine standpipe is almost 84" from the 2" vent through the roof. Is that too far? Am I on the right track?

View attachment 29813 View attachment 29814
Put the laundry waste above the standpipe waste.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
Thanks. Is that just to prevent a possible wet vent with the washer?

Also, what about the 62" and 84" distances from my traps to the main vent through the roof? For some reason I have in my head that 5' was the max distance between trap and vent. I know the washer standpipe has an additional vent arm closer but I'm wondering about the overall distances. Thanks.

laundry_dwv_v3.jpg

Cwhyu2

Consultant
Reaction score
Thanks. Is that just to prevent a possible wet vent with the washer?

Also, what about the 62" and 84" distances from my traps to the main vent through the roof? For some reason I have in my head that 5' was the max distance between trap and vent. I know the washer standpipe has an additional vent arm closer but I'm wondering about the overall distances. Thanks.

View attachment 29815
That would be a correct way of doing it.You should be okay as far as trap distance to vent.As long as vent is size properly you should be okay.

Philwgreen

Reaction score
That would be a correct way of doing it.You should be okay as far as trap distance to vent.As long as vent is size properly you should be okay.

Thanks. Would I gain anything by adding another vent to the lav and tying it in up above? Or am I just complicating things at this point? I was just worried about the lav trap being more than 5' from the vent.
laundry_dwv_v4.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks