Laundry Room Renovation Plumbing Help

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick Allen

Reaction score
Hello...
New to the forum...

I have a laundry room renovation plumbing question on proper waste lines for a clothes washer and sink.

We moved into a home built in the mid 60's with a septic system and was later converted into street sewer.

This laundry room has had a dual laundry tub and the clothes washer was wasted into one of the laundry tubs. Had never had any drainage problems with the tubs having used them for cleaning and other uses.

Now we wish to redo the laundry room into a mini kitchen and laundry room. The room is large and has access to the garage and family room.

The laundry tubs drain into a drain pipe in the concrete floor connecting into a bathroom about 15 feet away which in turn connects into the waste line into the street.

There is no vent pipe from the laundry tubs or floor drain, just the 2" drain from the laundry tubs into the main waste line. The wall behind the laundry tubs is stairs leading down to the basement with no wall access to vent to the roof. The wall to the left of the current laundry tubs is 42"high concrete turning into studs which make the brick exterior of the front entrance.

We would like to change the layout and move/change the laundry tubs and make just a single 30" kitchen style sink and add a laundry outlet to service the washer.

The run for the washer outlet would be about 65-70 inches, connecting to the sink waste, then continuing about 50 inches, make a 90 turn then about 40 inches into the current drain.

I prefer not to vent to the outside as It is the entry way. I was thinking about installing a loop but I am unsure as to where and how long/wide to go or if it would work.

Could someone please suggest a diagram to properly plumb for this problem?

Thanks

A1-IMG_6901.jpg

A3-Laundry 66D.jpg

A2-Laundry Design11b.jpg

krik

Reaction score
You'll need to tie in with the roof vent or make a new roof vent, and then vent the washer and sink individually from that. Can't run the vent out next to the entryway, can't use an AAV for the washer, can't do any wet venting, and can't use a loop. Even if you were able to do a loop, you would still need a vent pipe, so that wouldn't solve anything anyway. Build a 2x4 plumbing wall if you want to hide the pipes.

Reactions: MKS

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
The existing unvented system would have not been approved under any plumbing code. Now that you are planning a remodel, it is the time to make it right.

One thing to remember is that the vent can go up to the overhead and then across horizontally (with pitch) to a different location before going up the rest of the way.

Rick Allen

Reaction score
cacher_chick and krik...

Thank you for responding...
I knew about not venting by the entry, and
I was afraid to hear that I have to vent to the roof...
was hoping for an easy solution...

Looking at the layout of the house rooms and walls, I think the only place I can possibly vent to the roof is the wall behind the existing laundry tubs.
With a slight jog I may be able to get a 1 1/2" vent up because above that is a wall dividing a bedroom and the upstairs hall, not an easy task.

But then what do I have to do to vent the washer and new sink? Do I run vent pipe from the washer waste to the wall vent?

Or maybe I can go up the wall by the tubs and run a pipe across the 16 ft ceiling thru the floor joists into the garage then vent up the bedroom wall thru the garage roof. but that would be about a 32 ft run.

I'll have to spend some time this weekend looking into this...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks