Laundry relocate and floor drain delete fix?

Users who are viewing this thread

Supracar865

Reaction score
Hello again,

Helping a friend with some reno work and i told him i know of this great site.

I am dealing with an older house, 60's i think. The owner has decided to move the laundry 10' from its existing location. There was a convenient fix to move the laundry drain and that was for him to connect it to an old floor drain which he wanted to delete anyways. It being the only floor drain in the basement I called the city and of course found out that atleast one floor drain is required in a basement.

I have attached a picture of what he has done...the 3" cast floor drain p trap was cut and a 3" to 2" adapter was installed with a rubber ?coupling? and clamps. He then ran ABS to the new location, installing the Ptrap under slab and up to the washer stack.

Now im trying to help him fix his mistakes...

I would like to make the new drain to code, as well as re install a floor drain... everything is encased in concrete so if anyone sees a better/easier way im all ears!

Will my third drawing of the 3 work for just the washer setup, also will my last picture work to re-install the floor drain and attach the washer drain to the same branch?

Thanks for any help!

thanks for the help!
IMG_0944.jpg
IMG_0946.jpg

Bill Shack

30years plumbing 10years plumbing inspector
Reaction score
Do not do it. You are asking for trouble. the Laundry must be connected to an main drain independent of any other drain. soap suds will come out of the floor drain everly time.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks