Laundry pump plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

Rodster

Reaction score
First of all, thanks for providing this forum and the excellent information it provides!

I am installing a laundry tub pump and came up with several different ideas on how to plumb the 1 1/2 PVC drain into the existing plumbing but can't decide which is best or most correct.

The drain and vent will fall somewhere between the 2 red arrows in the picture. The 2'' vent will be run up between the two red arrows and then to the left at ceiling height, up a wall and attach to an existing vent in the attic.

The sweep 90 trap was installed by the water softener folks to drain the water softener and RO unit.

Oh, I should mention, the main drain exits the house about 7 feet off the floor to the left of the picture. Don't know if I forgot any other important details?

Suggestions?

Attachments

• Pump plumbing (1).JPG
    Pump plumbing (1).JPG
    64.3 KB · Views: 464
  • Pump plumbing (2).JPG
    Pump plumbing (2).JPG
    92.3 KB · Views: 357
Last edited:

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would eliminate that drain for the softener and install a new wye to plumb in the discharge from the pump. The line from the softener should discharge into the new standpipe for the laundry. The horizontal section of vent must be pitched to direct condensation back to the drain.

Rodster

Reaction score
I would eliminate that drain for the softener and install a new wye to plumb in the discharge from the pump. The line from the softener should discharge into the new standpipe for the laundry. The horizontal section of vent must be pitched to direct condensation back to the drain.

Thanks, kind of what I was thinking. Would you install the wye inlet vertically or horizontally? Maybe it depends on how I end up routing the drain. Going into the wye horizontally would be less restrictive than going up with the drain, then a 90 back down but somehow that seems safer should there ever be a backup. ???

I'll just be using the laundry tub for cleaning up and no washing machine so no standpipe. I thought about connecting the softener discharge to the pump inlet but why discharge it down and have the pump run when gravity can do the job?

I'm not thrilled with the current softener drain set up but not sure how else to do it? Not sure how much pressure the pump will have and don't like the thought of water coming through the trap and out the open end.

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I would be concerned about the existing softner drain as it will be the first to back up and dump waste back into the house. The pump outlet has or needs to have a check valve in it, which will prevent any back up from flooding the basement before anyone notices that there is a problem.

I would use a combo and an 1/8th or 1/16th bend to allow the inlet of a combo to line up above the centerline of the horizontal drain.

Rodster

Reaction score
I would be concerned about the existing softner drain as it will be the first to back up and dump waste back into the house. The pump outlet has or needs to have a check valve in it, which will prevent any back up from flooding the basement before anyone notices that there is a problem.

I would use a combo and an 1/8th or 1/16th bend to allow the inlet of a combo to line up above the centerline of the horizontal drain.

Yea, I'm not thrilled about the current softener drain set up but it does act as an air gap which I think it required/preferred? I've never had a back up and don't want one!! but should it occur and the existing softener drain is changed, doesn't that just push the dumping of waste higher ( 1st floor toilet) ? Certainly someone would notice that. ;) Maybe the current set up is the lesser of two evils?

The Zoeller pump set up comes with a check valve so got that covered.

I think I follow your plumbing suggestions except the 'above the centerline of the horizontal drain'.

I attached some picture of several options and think option 1 is what you described? Basically a 90 street ell going into a wye that has it's input inline with the centerline of the existing drain.

Option 2 would be similar to option 1 but with a long sweep 90 thinking it would be less resistance.

Option 3 would be to come up and over the existing drain centerline with a long sweep 90 and dumping into the wye input from the top with the street 90.

Some of the way I choose will depend on the pump and laundry tub location as well as the 2'' vent.

Thanks for your help!

Attachments

• Option 1.JPG
    Option 1.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 304
  • Option 2.JPG
    Option 2.JPG
    39.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Option 3.JPG
    Option 3.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 322

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
I prefer the long turn bend, but because it will be a forced ejection, which of these bends you use is inconsequential.

Rodster

Reaction score
OK thanks again. I like the long turn bend too and will be using that. Due to pump placement restrictions it looks like I'll have to jog the discharge slightly with 2 1/16th bends. Should be no big deal but 2 extra fittings.

Rodster

Reaction score
Done.....and the Zoeller pump works great!!! Kept the softener trap since I couldn't come up with a better idea. Figuring the length of pipe with 2 1/16th bends was interesting. ;)

Attachments

• plumbing.JPG
    plumbing.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 317

Rodster

Reaction score
I talked about tying the laundry tub vent into an existing vent in the attic but never showed it. For once something was a straight forward and I didn't have to rip more stuff apart to accomplish it. Once in awhile you catch a break. ;)

I'm guessing this connection is OK? The existing vent is the horizontal section with the roof vent to the right.

Attachments

• Laundry tub vent (1).JPG
    Laundry tub vent (1).JPG
    86.1 KB · Views: 296
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks