laundry drain size?

Users who are viewing this thread

Rick.a

Reaction score
I am installing a clothes washer as part of a bathroom remodel and want to connect it to a drywell that is technically illegal in MA but allowed since it is preexisting, and grandfathered in. The problem is that the drain pipe in the basement that goes to the dry well is 1 1/2 in. I know that 2" is code for washers, but since this will not be inspected, do you think that it will drain OK? I am assuming that it will cause the previous owner used it. I located the well and it is only about 6 ft from the outside of the foundation so the run is short. Washer will be a small stackable front loader.

thanks,

Cacher_Chick

Test, Don't Guess!
Reaction score
If it will work depends completely on the pumping capacity of the washer. If I had to do such a thing, I would pump the water into a laundry sink which only requires a 1-1/2 drain.

The reason the code is 2" is because many washers will pump out faster than a 1-1/2" standpipe can drain.

It is grandfathered only if it was legal in the first place AND you do nothing to change it.

Geniescience

Homeowner
Reaction score
it will work. Your FL is what nails it.

The Canadian code never got around to increasing from 1.5" to 2", and all washers sold in the US are legal for sale in Canada. Hint hint. I think the increase to 2" size was good for builders; it allowed them to build bigger houses without worrying about venting as much.

FL washers produce less water, in any case.

Rick.a

Reaction score
We don't have space for a laundry sink so I will need to just hook it up in order to try it. But since 1.5 used to be the code and modern washers use LESS water, I now only worry that the RATE that the new
front loader machines pump out the water might be a problem.

Do you think that using a 2" standpipe and trap , then reducing to my 1.5 where it exits the building might give me a little more pipe water holding capacity and be better than using 1.5 all the way??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks