Laundry Drain Question

Users who are viewing this thread

catnip2377

Reaction score
Hi,

Great Forum. Lots of good info on here.

We are currently redoing our laundry room and will be moving the washer/dryer to an adjacent wall.

I have to move the drain/water lines about 5' from their current location.

Our current washer/dryer is an all in one stacker about 7-8 years old. We are replacing it with a front load pair.

My question is in regards to the drain. The current drain size is 1.5". The drain runs down into the concrete slab. I have no idea where it runs to from there. From reading here (and other forums) it seems that 2" is now recommended. It would be a big task to try to break up concrete/take down walls etc to change it all to 2".

I have never had an issue with our current machine draining into the 1.5", but now is the time to change what I can.

Does it help any/make any sense to use 2" from the new location to where the 1.5" pipe goes into the slab? This would be approximately a 5' horizontal run plus +- 4' vertical to the laundry box.

Thank you for your time. Hope that makes sense.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
When I find an existing 1.5" laundry drain, I sometimes use 2" above the 1.5" p-trap to handle a bit more initial volumne. Sort of like a funnel.
Like you mention, it's been working already. I wouldn't break concrete on this.
It's not a lot different than a sink or laundry tray which also collects the surge of water.
I don't reduce on the horizontal.

When I can, I do install 2" all the way.

Last edited:

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are going to dig up how much of the floor? And then dig it till you find the wye fitting and then cut that out too? Nahhh, keep the 1-1/2

catnip2377

Reaction score
Thank you for your prompt replies!

So If I do decide to put in some 2", would you just do the vertical stack from the 1.5" trap to the washer box, or do the entire run in 2" until it gets to just above the floor?

Thank you again!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks