Laundry closet challenge

Users who are viewing this thread

diyguy4

Reaction score
Laundry closet venting challenge

Hello Experts,

I live in a 1500 sq. ft. ranch on a 4' crawl space with full access under the walls. I am trying to rework the plumbing in my 36" deep closet so that we can have enough depth for a front load washer and dryer. I need to install a recessed valve & drain box properly, but I have a toilet vent in the same stud cavity as the washer vent pipe. (Please see the attached photos.) Can I share the toilet vent stack with the washer drain vent? This may give me just enough room to get the trap in the wall. If so, how do I close off the original washer drain and retain the venting to the roof? If not, how can I plumb this closet so that we can stop going to the laundrymat?

Dimensions: Top of original washer drain stand pipe: 34" AFF. Existing washer valves are at 45 1/2" AFF. Distance from right wall (face of drywall) to center of toilet vent is 21-1/2". Distance from right wall to center of washer vent is 14 1/4".

Please help !

Attachments

• Plumbing 1.jpg
    Plumbing 1.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 2,548
  • Plumbing2.jpg
    Plumbing2.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 1,311
Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
DO NOT drain the washer into the toilet vent. It can, and often does, create a venturi effect as it flows past the toilet connection sucking the water out of the toilet. You can offset the toilet vent to the left and then install your drain box after you raise the washer drain tee so the trap is above the point where you have offset the other vent. You might be better off installing the washer drain into the lavatory drain if that is the pipe next to the dryer vent. It might work out better since most front load washers have the hinge on the left side, from the factory, so the washer works better on the left side of the dryer, unless you wish to reverse the doors on both appliances. (Doing that will result in any writing on the door being upside down, however.)

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks