Lantern Style lights outside. Work box?

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by sandyman720, Sep 13, 2007.

1. sandyman720

sandyman720 New Member

I am going to have outdoor lantern style lights on the outside of my addition by the side of the sliding patio door.

New construction. Do I cut a hole and then install a work box at the location or do I do something else? :confused:

Thanks
  2. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

Box in the wall...light attaches to the box. Make sure to anchor the box well.
  3. sandyman720

sandyman720 New Member

Should I get a circular box or a regular rectangle workbox?
  4. Chris75

Chris75 Electrician

Whatever the fixture will cover...
  5. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

314.27 Outlet Boxes.
    (A) Boxes at Luminaire (Lighting Fixture) Outlets. Boxes used at luminaire (lighting fixture) or lampholder outlets shall be designed for the purpose. At every outlet used exclusively for lighting, the box shall be designed or installed so that a luminaire (lighting fixture) may be attached.

Exception: A wall-mounted luminaire (fixture) weighing not more than 3 kg (6 lb) shall be permitted to be supported on other boxes or plaster rings that are secured to other boxes, provided the luminaire (fixture) or its supporting yoke is secured to the box with no fewer than two No. 6 or larger screws.
  6. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Depends on the fixture. A surface mounted pan box is the easiest IF the fixture will cover it.
  7. jwelectric

jwelectric Electrical Contractor/Instructor

And there is enough cubit inches in the box for the conductors that enter it
  8. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

Don't YOU start with me either :)