"Landlord Special" won't seal.

Discussion in 'Toilet Forum discussions' started by rayce00, Jan 12, 2006.

1. rayce00

rayce00 New Member

Yes, it's a cheapie. I have tried 2 plain wax rings and now a reinforced one...I still can't get a seal, the carpet around the front base still shows moisture. Is there anything (trick of the trade) I can try short of replacing the entire fixture?
  2. plumber1

plumber1 Plumber

leak

Does the toilet wobble?
    Check for a leak between the tank and bowl.
    Check the supply pipe.
    Carpeting will make it harder sometimes to nail it down sometimes.
  3. Cass

Cass Plumber

Why do you think it is the wax seal?
  4. jadnashua

jadnashua Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx

If the toilet rocks at all, it will leak regardless of the number of wax rings....so, you need to check that first. It is not uncommon to need to shim the toilet to keep it from rocking, especially on older structures that have seen their share of leaks. You need a little finnese,as if you shim after smushing it down, you are likely to mess up the wax seal. So, set it without the wax, shim it, then remove it carefully so you don't mess up the shims, then wax ring, then set it back down on top of the shims and cinch it down into the wax.