Lamp post photocell hook up

Discussion in 'Electrical Forum discussion & Blog' started by mr fix it, Nov 16, 2009.

1. mr fix it

mr fix it New Member

Hi: Question, I am hooking up a new outside lamp post with photocell dusk to dawn. I will not be hooking it up to electric supply till sometime next spring. Just putting everything together now. I am using conductivity meter to check wiring, everything seems to check out ok except I can not get a conductivity reading acrossed the photocell. I have reading going into cell black wire to black wire but no reading coming out the red wire to light
    I tried covering the cell with black tape and also after dark. Is it possible that conductivity can't be read acrossed a photocell??? Or does the photocell have to be exposed to the light for a day ??? I just took it out of the box. Thanks for any help.

2. Billy_Bob

Billy_Bob In the Trades

Photocells and the like are "electronic circuits" which need to be powered to function.

And if there are any "diodes" (electronic component) in these electronic circuits, these would need a certain "voltage" (7/10 volt) and a certain "polarity" of voltage to get a reading on a testing device. Some testing devices do not provide this high of a voltage through the test wires.

In English: Just follow directions, hook it up, and see if it works!

3. Sponsor

Sponsor Paid Advertisement

4. Thatguy

Thatguy Homeowner

A bounty hunter like in "Raising Arizona"
    A CdS photocell in bright light should read low (~10k?) resistance.

5. mr fix it

mr fix it New Member

Thanks Billy Bob. That thought did enter my mind. Looks like I will need to power it up to see if it works. many thanks again for the help.

6. mr fix it

mr fix it New Member

Thanks guy, everyone has been a big help. Nice to have the experts to take your problems too.

7. Alectrician

Alectrician DIY Senior Member

The PV power from a 3 wire photo cell opens the circuit.

When you first install and power up a 3 wire photo cell, the light will be on for about 20/30 seconds.

It seems like you should have continuity between black and red (of the PC) right out of the box

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2009