Lamp Post Bulb keeps blowing out

Users who are viewing this thread

dan123

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm a guy that likes lamp posts because they really light up an area. I have a lamp post that the bulb keeps blowing out (I use normal 100 watt bulbs). Recently I took the top off and found the copper receptacle to be badly corroded. So I went to the electrical house where the electricians go and got the exact new piece I needed.....wired it up nice nice....its still blowing out after a few days.

The wiring is older outside wiring from the panel...along side of house...then underground to the lamp post.

Any thoughts? Should I replace the wire??? (easy job but time consuming)

Thanks.

ps I'm a very good amateur electrician if that matters. I also have a great electrician but he knows I like to save money I only bring him in on bigger things or any time i have to get into the panel.

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Try a 23 watt CFL bulb and see how long it lasts. Maybe the lamp post is being subjected to vibration or mechanical shock? Also try a 100 watt rough service bulb if you prefer incandescant.

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
You could have an issue with the neutral circuit. Takes a little bit of technical understanding of household electricty to test that.

mrmedic

Reaction score
Website
www.thehousemedic.com
Just a shot, But I have been told by electricians that sometime if the black (hot) wire goes to the receptacle on the outside of the screw in part for the bulb this could make the bulbs burn out faster. Has something to do with the neutral wire. So check and make sure the the Black (hot) wire is connected to the center of the socket and see if that helps.

Ron

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
twight zone? I've heard of stranger thigs though, like using an aluminum foil strip on a flourescent lamp fixture to make it light up. Heard it here even, and it worked for somebody here I trust.

dan123

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I'll take the head off and make sure the black wire is on the center connector and may try a rough service bulb (never heard of that before now)....before any re wiring.

Appreciate the suggestions.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Rough service bulbs are sold for things like garage door openers, work lights, or similar things where they typically experience significant vibrations/impacts - the filaments are either thicker or supported better to help prevent them from shearing off from fatigue/impact. Most places, the supply voltage is closer to 120vac, so a 130vac rated bulb would act like a slightly lower wattage bulb because it has a heavier filament and won't pass as much current because of the increased resistance. Higher voltage spikes, on/off cycles, and vibrations can significantly shorten a bulb's life.

dan123

Reaction score
I took off the head yesterday and indeed I did have the black wire in the center screw so it was not that. I also previously had only 1 screw holding the head on so I put 3 new screws in. The post is a pressure treated wood lamp post that I got from a good fence company.

I'm hoping if I go to the electric house I should be able to find the heavy service bulbs. Anyone know how much I should pay for these?

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I took off the head yesterday and indeed I did have the black wire in the center screw so it was not that. I also previously had only 1 screw holding the head on so I put 3 new screws in. The post is a pressure treated wood lamp post that I got from a good fence company.

I'm hoping if I go to the electric house I should be able to find the heavy service bulbs. Anyone know how much I should pay for these?

I don't know about at the supply house, but Google shows these:

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...=aps&hvadid=4940449037&ref=pd_sl_5ax86jpyiz_b

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
oven and refrig lights are rough service, especially FAN lite bulbs, and few of the bulbs still made in the USA - All the Indonesian bulbs and Hungarian ones are like flash bulbs. That is likely your issue. An put some vaseline on the threads of the bulb.

If you want a 40 year bulb go to Graingers and look up medium base railroad signal light bulbs. Got one going 30 years.

You dont need amazon for this one. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AEROTECH-Lamp-5UCW0?Pid=search

Did you test the voltage at the bulb? rough service is usually not needed on a lamp post unless you have a tornado weekly.

Last edited:

BobL43

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
oven and refrig lights are rough service, especially FAN lite bulbs, and few of the bulbs still made in the USA - All the Indonesian bulbs and Hungarian ones are like flash bulbs. That is likely your issue. An put some vaseline on the threads of the bulb.

If you want a 40 year bulb go to Graingers and look up medium base railroad signal light bulbs. Got one going 30 years.

You dont need amazon for this one. http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/AEROTECH-Lamp-5UCW0?Pid=search

Did you test the voltage at the bulb? rough service is usually not needed on a lamp post unless you have a tornado weekly.

Not everybody can walk into Graingers or go on line and buy from them. You can, I can, but the average homeowner may not be able to buy from them.

Ballvalve

General Engineering Contractor
Reaction score
Okay, I'll revise that. Tongue in cheek anyway. Bad idea. Graingers will open your account if you're a tree squirrel with a business name. You wont get much or any discount however, which does not matter much anyway.

Fraud is when you take that business card and hand it to a customer as yourself, a rather common cause of arrests in the trades. Or apply their number to your business name - disaster # 2 in the trades. The state paid me and 12 venerable contractors to re-write some mouldy contractors tests, so I am quite well versed in the subject.

No matter if you are billy bobs plumbing, you can call your REP and get very nice quotes on any materials in their book when bought in quantity. Their standards for a customer are very light in this depression.

Just check their site and you can open an account on line, and I do not see a place for a contractors license.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks