lake water pump/tank prssure bounce question

Users who are viewing this thread

M_L

Reaction score
If anyone can offer a suggestion that would be great. I have a lake water system that is suffering from random pressure switch bounce. I attached a diagram below of the system. Hopefully it shows up. The pressure tank is about 40 ft from the pump and pressure switch and about 20 feet up a hill. The system holds pressure when the pump is off, but there may be a slow leak.

When I say bounce I mean the pumps turns on for a second and then shuts off immediately. The pressure gauge jumps from cutout to cut in and then cutout again...stop..start...stop

When the pump is switched on, it charges the system fine and shuts off with one bounce. After a couple hours of normal use, the pump starts bouncing for a minute and then stops. After 5 minutes it starts bouncing again.

Turning pump off for several seconds and then restarting brings it back to normal again. Pressure holds fine.

Is the pressure switch too far from the tank? Moving pressure switch is not an option as the pressure switch is integral part of pump.

Would putting in a 2 gallon pressure tank at the pump make the bouncing stop? Any other options to consider? If it does not bounce the system works like it should..cuts in at 30 psi and cuts out at 50 psi.
upload_2016-6-5_16-2-21.png

upload_2016-6-5_16-3-52.png

Reach4

Reaction score
Is the pressure switch too far from the tank?
Yes.
Moving pressure switch is not an option as the pressure switch is integral part of pump.
You could bypass the built-in pressure switch, and put a new one at the tank. They are fairly cheap.

Would putting in a 2 gallon pressure tank at the pump make the bouncing stop?
Probably, but putting the new pressure switch at the pressure tank would be best.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks