Laing water recirculator not working-what next?

Users who are viewing this thread

tetrisattaque

Reaction score
Hi all. Thanks in advance for any advice. I have a ten year old laing smt 303btw with a dedicated recirculation line that has apparently pooped out. I opened it up and the rotor no longer is spinning when powered on, but the magnetic effect is present. The installation was performed prior to my home purchase and it is lacking the air vent, hose bib, and check valve. Also the pump was installed superior to the top of the water heater which apparently is a no no. However, this system has been working well priorly. I would appreciate some advice.
1. would a roto repair kit fix the pump, or is it totally shot
2. would you rerun all the pipes to have it comply with the manufacturers suggestions even though the prior installation was working for 10 yrs
3. can i just install a watts/grundfos system with the current recirculation line
4 . what would you do

sorry for the many questions

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I would contact Laing. They might have repair parts available for less than a new pump would cost. At least they can offer knowledgeable advice. I am not personally familar with any brands other than the Laing, but if another brand is considered, A check of the installation instructions would be in order. I suspect there would be no major changes, and maybe no changes at all. I would remind you however, these pumps are man made devices and all man made devices fair sooner or later.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most of the pump connections are generic, so it should be a simple process to exchange that pump for a new one. The connection to the top of the tank, if it was done correctly, IS equivalent to a bottom connection. The hose bibb is not a "requirement" although it can be handy, as would be a valve on the OUTLET of the pump for modulation purposes.. The check valve IS necessary, especially when connected to the cold water inlet to the heater. With these factors in mind the answers to your original questions are;
1.Forget about repairing the pump.
2.Not necessary.
3.Yes.
4.Replace the pump, and leave everything else as it is.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks