lack of hot water in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

EzraDylan

Reaction score
I have a lack of hot water in my shower...we have a single handle valve. It does't pull out it swings counterclockwise from cold to hot, so I'm not sure if this is a cartridge type or not. You can shower with it all the way on hot and still only get a warm shower. the hot water in a sink a few feet away is extremely hot. Any advice will be appreciated

Cass

Plumber
Reaction score
It sounds like it has a pressure and or temperature balance feature in it and it is not working right.

Do you know what brand it is? That will help us.

EzraDylan

Reaction score
I can't seem to find a brand name on it anywhere. I pulled the handle and trim off and the connection for the handle comes out of a grey cone shaped part that is attached to brass by 4 screws. I am assuming that the valve is in the grey piece or in part of the brass. I have a small opening to look through but I can see the connections to supply lines. I don't know it this helps. I may be able to get a pic later but my wife is gone with the digital camera right now.

EzraDylan

Reaction score
I can't get the file small enough to upload a picture. If you can offer any advice without knowing the brand or seeing a pic I woud appreciate it or if you can send me to a link where I may find the type that i have.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Did this ever work? If it is new, it may have a limiting stop which prevents it from getting full hot. That may just need adjusting. Or, the pressure balance spool could be stuck. That may need replacing or maybe just cleaned up and lubricated so it moves properly. It is also possible that there is a stop that is not fully opened, or there is crud on the hot supply line caught in the valve.

nadine

Reaction score
It sounds like the temp adjustment has come loose and/or changed. Remove the handle, there should be some gear type things behind it. That is what sets the high temp. if that has slipped or is broken, that is likely the problem. If not, time to pull the cartridge and check for a partial blockage.

EzraDylan

Reaction score
pics of valve

Here are a couple of picture of what I can see. There is a screw that can be adjusted to limit the handle turn towards the hot water. It is allowing a full turn. If I remove the 4 screws and remove the grey cone shaped piece there, will I expose the cartridge? Will I be able to find replacement parts at one of the big boxes? is there a way to just clean it out?

Attachments

• shower pic2.jpg
    shower pic2.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 409
  • shower pic.jpg
    shower pic.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 409

See-Ray

Reaction score
American Staandard Valve - Another Picture

I'm having the same problem. This photo shows the entire valve:

See - http://www.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=370030&ck=

Last time I had this problem (that was about a year ago -- this particlar shower doesn't get used much), I'm pretty sure the plumber removed the slotted brass nut-like object to the right of the mixing valve and lubricated it. Looked pretty easy if you know what you're doing! I tried removing it and found that it has a segmented stem (separated by O-rings) that is a couple of inches long. Looks like there is somthing inside the stem that may be to be removed and lubricated. But, I'm not at all sure I'm on the right track. Help!:cool:

Last edited:

EzraDylan

Reaction score
disc type fixture

OK i have opened the fixture up. It seems I have a disc type valve. I don't see too much inside the cartridge. May it help to flush water through the fixture with this part removed? If there is trash in the hot water line? I just replaced the hot water heater so I have been suspecting some trash in the line. What is the best way to troubleshoot this? pic of removed portion of fixture shown.

Attachments

• CIMG0556.JPG
    CIMG0556.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 406

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
With the cartridge out, and somebody at the house shutoff, turn the water back on momentarily. It will spray all over, but if there is something there, it should push it out. You might be able to use some plastic or something to direct it out into the shower rather than back into the wall. If you get good flow at that point, put it back together and see what happens.

EzraDylan

Reaction score
tried that and i'm still getting 20F difference between the sink and shower 130F vs' 110

EzraDylan

Reaction score
After cleaning out valve as best I could. It didn't appear I did anything to say I didn't visually see any trash come out. However, there was a slight improvement in temperature. As I was in my crawl space following lines to check for an inhouse shutoff to the shower. I found a shut off for the hot and cold lines going to the shower.. the peculiar thing was if I shut either one of them off all the water to the shower was turned off.. Neither of these valves are in the main line but after t-offs to the shower. Any logic on this would be appreciated, I have no idea how this could happen.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found a shut off for the hot and cold lines going to the shower.. the peculiar thing was if I shut either one of them off all the water to the shower was turned off.. Neither of these valves are in the main line but after t-offs to the shower. Any logic on this would be appreciated, I have no idea how this could happen.

If you have a pressure balancing spool, turning the pressure down on one side would cause the pressure to be reduced on the other. So, if you turned the hot or cold off, it would automatically turn the other side off.

send

Reaction score
Which type of shower you have, is it mixer or electric shower? do you get proper pressure of cold water?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks