Lack of gravity

Users who are viewing this thread

Matawanakee

Reaction score
I am so happy to have found your site. My issue is that my house (cottage or camp) moved forward about 18 inches in the first years of its life due to faulty piers and lots of water on the property. I have stopped the water and movement but still have to deal with the loss of gravity from the plumbing to the septic system. It still flows, but sometimes stuff in the toilet takes a bucket of water along with the flush. There is no solution for the gravity so I have been looking for a toilet with a little more flush oomph!

It looks like the Toto toilets might have what I am looking for. Can you make any suggestions. I was looking at the Soiree. Will the 1.6 toilets give me more flush?

Thanks

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you've lost the proper slope, I'm not sure any toilet is going to reliably work well for you. The real solution is probably to rerun the line to the septic to restore the proper slope.

Matawanakee

Reaction score
Have not lost all of the slope

The toilet still flushes. Most solids flush easily, but some do not. If I take a bucket of water and dump it in just the right place to get the swirl going, everything goes down nicely. This is a summer cottage, and redoing the slope would be impractical. I just need a little more force in the flush.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm in accord with Jim's theory that you have lost some of the slope. The minimum slope is 1" per 4'. If the original slope was just at minimum, even a small amount of settling could put a belly in the line which would account for the problem. Adding more water to the flush would probably help shove the debris through the belly, but would not really fix the problem. I don't know if a camera inspection would detect a belly or not, but it would be worth inquiring about. If it is a belly and if it can be determined where it is, it might be repaired without a complete new drain line.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Some toilets are dogs, so even if everything else is proper in the drain system, they don't clear properly. What toilet is it?

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
I know you're looking for an easy aka cheap way around this problem, but face it, you've lost the slope. There's no toilet that will push water uphill. I really think you will need to put in a new line to the septic tank.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks