L-shaped aprons on tubs or pony-wall?

Users who are viewing this thread

nkosiek

Reaction score
We want to redo our bathroom but we have an interesting bathtub that though it has seen better days, is chipped in a lot of places. It is only surrounded by 2 walls and has what I'd guess would be called an L-shaped apron around it (from the 40s or 50s). I can't seem to find a new one so we're thinking we have to build a pony wall. Is that so, or do those style tubs still exist? If not, can we build a pony wall just barely above the height of the tub or should it be significantly higher? We've got lots of people who know how to do DIY but this one is stumping people and since it's the only bathroom in an old row-home we need to do it right.

JohnfrWhipple

BATHROOM DESIGN & BUILD
Reaction score
Great Question. I have not seen this type of tub before. Many tubs are made local and if you call around a few plumbing wholesalers you might find a brand made locally that can be customized.

God Luck.

JW

nkosiek

Reaction score
It seems as though they were really popular in the 1930s-50s. It is original to our 1950s row-home it appears. I found a company that still makes them for $2200, so now I'm thinking of looking at either a salvage reseller or a refinisher. Just unsure of whether they can refinish/surface a tub with a few knicks in the enamel.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks