KT-190 or KT-200

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by kordts, Feb 10, 2007.

1. kordts

kordts In the Trades

I am going to buy a pipe thawer, does anyone like one model over the other?
  2. Cass

Cass Plumber

The 200 seems more versatile for the $$$.
  3. pics/links please.

I turned down two calls today because I don't have the equipment. One was a 100 foot service,

How does that work? Don't you have to connect at opposite ends to conduct electricity through the line? I would of had to have 100 foot leads EACH to get that guys service thawed....and even then I told him that even though he has a copper pigtail out of the meter and copper going through the wall, it could be plastic inbetween.

I ended up doing two starting at 3pm. First was copper hot water system lines broke, the second was CPVC cracking the pipe and fittings at a hose bibb. My second time using a sharkbite coupler and it just seems too damn easy.

I sure you plumbers know this.....but the temperature is going to rise through the night, at least in my area. I can hear the water dripping through the downspout outside my office so I know the temp is rising and my call volume is reflecting that greatly.

Expect to get slammed with calls tomorrow because the rise in temperature will kick off a slew of broken water lines.

I can only say that I'm prepared as best as possible....bucket of fittings and heading to get a few more sharkbites. I usually said no to any CPVC water line jobs but I've found Gold! in dem supply houses!
  4. kordts

kordts In the Trades

Rugged,
    they make longer cables, but the stock cables are 25' long. If you have a long frozen pipe, you just start at the faucet and work back. But you can go 50 foot a pop, so you would only have to move the cables once. here's a link for ya.

http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/KT190-KT200-Pipe-Thawers
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  5. Cass

Cass Plumber

You can also get 100' leads which will give you an effective working range of 200'