Kraus Strainer Assembly Order?

Discussion in 'Plumbing Forum, Professional & DIY Advice' started by Knighton, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Knighton

Knighton Finish Carpenter

I bought a Kraus sink and it came with two strainers. The strainers look different than anything I've seen and I'm a bit confused as to where a couple of parts should go (under sink or over sink). Should the white gasket go A) between the strainer body and the top of the sink or B) on top of the rubber gasket under the sink? Does the white gasket take the place of putty?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Knighton

Attached Files:

2. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

The rubber gasket goes under the sink, and does not take the place of putty. Be sure to use "stainless" putty. The cardboard goes up against the rubber. It acts as a simple friction ring, so when you tighten the nut, it does not "tweak" the rubber out of shape.
  3. Knighton

I know the black gasket goes under the sink, but the white gasket (its rubbery/spongy not cardboard) is what im concerned with. Does the white rubbery thing is function the same as cardboard would in other strainers?

Thanks for the reply
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2012
  4. jimbo

jimbo Plumber

If that is not a cardboard gasket, then you need to go back to plan A...read the instructions. It might in fact be for sealing the flange in lieu of putty...but the manufacturer has to tell you that.
  5. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

The black rubber goes under the sink so it will be compressed between the drain and the sink. The white on goes under the trim ring in place of putty, although a drain like this does NOT need putty in the first place. Then the "bolt" is threaded iinto the drain and tightened to seal everything together.
  6. Knighton

Thats why Im here, there were no instructions regarding the strainer installation and the Kraus website didnt have them either.
  7. Knighton

Thats what i suspected but wasnt completely sure. Thanks for your help!
  8. BobL43

BobL43 DIY Senior Member

Kraus happens to have very good customer support in my recent experiences with them. Call them and see what their intentions are for those.
  9. Knighton

I took your advise and called Kraus. Their customer service said the strainer is designed to be used without putty, placing the white gasket between the strainer basket and the top of the sink. However, he explained that putty can be used, but it should only be used between the black gasket and the underside of the sink? He said it was unnecessary, but could be done if "it made me feel better". Apparently, many people have called asking the same question.

Thanks again to all who replied.
  10. hj

hj Moderator & Master Plumber Staff Member

Putty SHOULD NOT be used between the sink and rubber gasket. And, since that gasket is making the waterproof seal that putty on top of the sink would be used for, the putty, and even the white gasket, are NOT needed.
  11. lubster

lubster New Member

Kraus strainer installation

It was late last night when we finally were able to install our Kraus strainer, only to find that there were not any instructions included, nor were there any on Kraus' website. The white foam gasket and whether to use putty or not were the questions we needed answers to, but Kraus was closed until morning. Searching the web led me to this forum and the answer to our question posted by Knighton. At that late hour, we were quite thankful to find the answer. We installed the strainer as Knighton described above, we did not use any putty, and all of our plumbing is working perfectly. Thank you Knighton and to this forum!
  12. sarah tubbs

sarah tubbs New Member

I also contacted Krause by email, they responded in less than an hour by phone, the white gakset goes directly below the strainer above the sink, black below (do not use the putty on the black gasket) . After hours of research online I decided to ditch the white gasket and go with good old-fashioned plumbers putty. Good luck everyone! I hope I can finally enjoy my sink.
    Last edited: May 3, 2013