Kraus Strainer Assembly Order?

Users who are viewing this thread

Knighton

Finish Carpenter
Reaction score
I bought a Kraus sink and it came with two strainers. The strainers look different than anything I've seen and I'm a bit confused as to where a couple of parts should go (under sink or over sink). Should the white gasket go A) between the strainer body and the top of the sink or B) on top of the rubber gasket under the sink? Does the white gasket take the place of putty?:confused:

Thanks in advance for your help!

Knighton

Attachments

• Strainer.JPG
    Strainer.JPG
    86 KB · Views: 3,488

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
The rubber gasket goes under the sink, and does not take the place of putty. Be sure to use "stainless" putty. The cardboard goes up against the rubber. It acts as a simple friction ring, so when you tighten the nut, it does not "tweak" the rubber out of shape.

Knighton

Finish Carpenter
Reaction score
The rubber gasket goes under the sink, and does not take the place of putty. Be sure to use "stainless" putty. The cardboard goes up against the rubber. It acts as a simple friction ring, so when you tighten the nut, it does not "tweak" the rubber out of shape.

I know the black gasket goes under the sink, but the white gasket (its rubbery/spongy not cardboard) is what im concerned with. Does the white rubbery thing is function the same as cardboard would in other strainers?

Thanks for the reply

Last edited:

Jimbo

Plumber
Reaction score
If that is not a cardboard gasket, then you need to go back to plan A...read the instructions. It might in fact be for sealing the flange in lieu of putty...but the manufacturer has to tell you that.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
The black rubber goes under the sink so it will be compressed between the drain and the sink. The white on goes under the trim ring in place of putty, although a drain like this does NOT need putty in the first place. Then the "bolt" is threaded iinto the drain and tightened to seal everything together.

Knighton

Finish Carpenter
Reaction score
If that is not a cardboard gasket, then you need to go back to plan A...read the instructions. It might in fact be for sealing the flange in lieu of putty...but the manufacturer has to tell you that.

Thats why Im here, there were no instructions regarding the strainer installation and the Kraus website didnt have them either.

Knighton

Finish Carpenter
Reaction score
The black rubber goes under the sink so it will be compressed between the drain and the sink. The white on goes under the trim ring in place of putty, although a drain like this does NOT need putty in the first place. Then the "bolt" is threaded iinto the drain and tightened to seal everything together.

Thats what i suspected but wasnt completely sure. Thanks for your help!

Knighton

Finish Carpenter
Reaction score
Kraus happens to have very good customer support in my recent experiences with them. Call them and see what their intentions are for those.

I took your advise and called Kraus. Their customer service said the strainer is designed to be used without putty, placing the white gasket between the strainer basket and the top of the sink. However, he explained that putty can be used, but it should only be used between the black gasket and the underside of the sink? He said it was unnecessary, but could be done if "it made me feel better". Apparently, many people have called asking the same question.

Thanks again to all who replied.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Putty SHOULD NOT be used between the sink and rubber gasket. And, since that gasket is making the waterproof seal that putty on top of the sink would be used for, the putty, and even the white gasket, are NOT needed.

lubster

Reaction score
Kraus strainer installation

I took your advise and called Kraus. Their customer service said the strainer is designed to be used without putty, placing the white gasket between the strainer basket and the top of the sink. However, he explained that putty can be used, but it should only be used between the black gasket and the underside of the sink? He said it was unnecessary, but could be done if "it made me feel better". Apparently, many people have called asking the same question.

Thanks again to all who replied.

It was late last night when we finally were able to install our Kraus strainer, only to find that there were not any instructions included, nor were there any on Kraus' website. The white foam gasket and whether to use putty or not were the questions we needed answers to, but Kraus was closed until morning. Searching the web led me to this forum and the answer to our question posted by Knighton. At that late hour, we were quite thankful to find the answer. We installed the strainer as Knighton described above, we did not use any putty, and all of our plumbing is working perfectly. Thank you Knighton and to this forum!

sarah tubbs

Reaction score
I also contacted Krause by email, they responded in less than an hour by phone, the white gakset goes directly below the strainer above the sink, black below (do not use the putty on the black gasket) . After hours of research online I decided to ditch the white gasket and go with good old-fashioned plumbers putty. Good luck everyone! I hope I can finally enjoy my sink.

Last edited:

jaywalsh31

Reaction score
  • The black rubber goes under the sink so it will be compressed between the drain and the sink. The white on goes under the trim ring in place of putty, although a drain like this does NOT need putty in the first place. Then the "bolt" is threaded iinto the drain and tightened to seal everything together.

I know this is old but still very helpful.
One mistake that can still be made is the direction in which the black rubber gasket is installed. The SQUARE drain anyway , comes with a gasket that has channels built into it 3 of them, approx. An 1/8" deep I believe this side goes down, into lower strainer. I know this may seem like the sense of the common but it stopped me for a few minutes and made me second guess, bringing me here.
Thank you.

Attachments

• 1499202973208702170028.jpg
    1499202973208702170028.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 981
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks