Korky instead of TSU39 fill valve?

Users who are viewing this thread

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
I have a Toto one-piece toilet (can't recall model name) and fill valve isn't shutting off. It is not a Korky - it is a green oblong unit which according to a quick web search is designated "TSU39".

I'm hoping I can just use a Korky fill valve - right? I am hoping the tank height isn't a problem.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
The Korky 528MP MaxPerformance valve (silver cap) will fit your Toto -- it's virtually-identical to the valve that Toto now provides as its universal replacement fill valve, the Toto TSU99A.X, which Korky makes for Toto. The 528T would work if you have a G-Max flush, otherwise it's not the right refill ratio, and the white-cap plain ol 528 won't work as it won't refill enough.

HD doesn't carry the 528MP, but Lowe's does.

Korky 528T Replacement TOTO Toilet Fill Valve - Fits G-Max and Power Gravity Toilets -Easy to Install -Made in USA

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Installed the Korky MaxPerformance fill valve today. On plus side, it has a little adjustable valve to allow you to fine tune the amount of water that fills the bowl. Nice feature.

On con side, not that easy to adjust water level. You have to adjust the overall height of the unit, and instructions tell you to do this when you install the valve. After I had it in and turned on the water, the water level was maybe 1/8th inch below top of overflow tube -- too close for my comfort, so I turned off the water, took the valve out and set the height a little lower. Water level now about 1" below top of overflow.

A question: where should the water level be? I don't see any markings on the tank. Older toilet tanks always seemed to have a water level embossed inside.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
I like the water level to be about 1/2" below the overflow.
The Korky can be adjusted while still in the tank. Remove the locking tab and turn it to the correct adjustment, then re-inset the locking tab.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
In case it's not clear... if you haven't put in the little locking tab, which most people don't do, you just turn the head of the thing while it's in the tank and it will unlock. You can then set the height by sliding it up and down, then turn it back until you feel it click into place. It moves up very slightly when you click it into place. If you have it positioned in the tank such that you can't turn the head far enough to unlock, you still don't need to remove it. You can turn off and unscrew the water supply, put a bucket under the hole, flush, and then loosen the locking nut just a bit. Then hold the valve in place and turn the stem from under the toilet until it unlocks. Then adjust it, lock it back in position by turning the stem, tighten the lock nut, reinstall the water supply and turn it on, and voila.

SteveW

DIY Senior Member
Reaction score
Good advice, both of you - tried it and that works well! I kept thinking it doesn't seem quite right to have to take the whole valve out to adjust the water level.
Thanks.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks