Korky 528 rubber pad on float arm

Users who are viewing this thread

aspera

Reaction score
I have two out of four Korky 528 fill valves that are making a slight hum. I've already replaced the valve caps and that did nothing. When I press down on the float arm on the opposite side away from the float, the slow leak stops.

I took the float arm off and noticed that there's a black rubber pad on the underside of the black plastic arm that seems to be slightly worn away.

So my question is: Do I have to buy a whole new fill kit just to get a new float arm?

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
There is usually eventually a slight depression in the pilot seat (the thing you are describing), but if it's worn away, it's probably time to replace it. They don't sell that part separately, to my knowledge (because it doesn't normally wear out).

Make sure that you have reinstalled the float so that it is exactly-centered and clicks into the top of the valve, and that it moves freely. It is such a simple mechanism that I am surprised by this issue; it makes me wonder whether your water pressure isn't a little high. Have you checked it? Do you have an expansion tank if your system is a "closed" one? If so, is the tank working properly?

The reason I ask all this is that when the water pressure is high, either due to high pressure in the municipal water system or a broken pressure reducing valve at or near the meter, or a failed expansion tank, usually the water finds a way to escape to reduce the pressure long before blowing out the relief valve on the water heater, for example. The usual place it escapes is the weakest seal(s) in the system, very often an outside water spigot that ends up dripping, or a toilet fill valve that ends up running just slightly.

MrMeanor

Reaction score
I have two out of four Korky 528 fill valves that are making a slight hum. I've already replaced the valve caps and that did nothing. When I press down on the float arm on the opposite side away from the float, the slow leak stops.

I took the float arm off and noticed that there's a black rubber pad on the underside of the black plastic arm that seems to be slightly worn away.

So my question is: Do I have to buy a whole new fill kit just to get a new float arm?
You don't have to buy a new one. You can rotate that existing one or you can flip it over.

Robert Snow

Architect
Reaction score
The black rubber pilot seat can be pried out of the float arm and flipped over. You can pretty much get double the life out of the rubber seat if you do this.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks