Kohler K-3420 1992 Wellworth Lite Toilet Review

Users who are viewing this thread

Dave Daves

Reaction score
We recently purchased a Kohler Wellworth toilet and it worked so well, we purchased a second. It has a decent flush (considering it is a 1.6 gallon flush toilet), and if you find you do need a larger flush, all you need to do is hold down the handle when you flush to get the entire tanks worth of water. We purchased the entire unit at Lowes for $100 and so far are very happy with our new toilets.

wellworth-94.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
They will work for some, but not for everybody.

MaP testing for the Wellworth models is:
K-3420, Elongated bowl, 125 grams
K-3421, Regular bowl, 250 grams

When MaP did their testing, the toilets tested ranged from 125 to 1100 grams.

MaP thinks that 250 is the minimum that should be used.
If you have the regular bowl Wellworth, you're right at the low range of performance, which is all some people need.

Last edited:

kwluser

Reaction score
I have a problem with one of my Wellworth Lite. Around 1992, I had a couple of them installed, and they were great. They were much more effective at removing waste than whatever were there before, so I was glad to get them even if it wasn't for saving water. The water saving was a bonus. But I end up adjusting that little styrofoam float a little to make them flush with a little more water.

A few years later, one of them started to become less effective. I thought it might have had a clog, but snaking it out did not seem to change anything. The symptoms are like this:

When I pull the flapper valve (with the handle), the water seems to move in very slowly, and bowl actually starts to fill up. At some point, something happens, and the load finally flushes out. If I just push the handle and let it go, the flapper will close before this happens, and a lot of times, it will not flush. So to make sure it does flush, I have to hold the handle down, and only let go when I see it actually flushing. I've tried snaking out the water openning through the flapper valve, but that hasn't done much either.

The other toilet, which was installed at the same time, seems to be working just fine; when I push the handle, the water barely starts its flow in and the load appeared to be just sucked out, while the rest of the water from that flush cleans out the bowl.

Is there some place where I can find a drawing of the internals of the Wellworth Lite bowl? Is there something simple I can do to find out what might have gotten jammed somewhere inside?

thanks for any advice

wellworth_1994.jpg

Kohler Wellworth 1994 1.6 Gallon Flush headed for the dump.

wellworth_1994_inside_tank.jpg

Looking inside the tank

wellworth_1994_3_bolts.jpg

Three bolts to connect the tank.

1994 Kohler Wellworth review and comments

Last edited by a moderator:

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
1994-wellworth-terrylove-01.jpg

Still in use in 2020. I removed it for a taller bowl.

1994-wellworth-terrylove-02.jpg

1994-wellworth-terrylove-03.jpg

1994-wellworth-terrylove-04.jpg

These tanks hold a lot of water. It's a timed flapper so only 1.6 gallons is used normally, but if you hold the handle down it flushes like three times.

The replacement in 2020

cst243ef-terrylove-01.jpg

Last edited:

ToiletEnthusiast

Not a plumber, just a plumbing enthusiast
Reaction score
I recently saw a video of a Kohler toilet from Japan which uses somewhat of the same idea as the old Wellworth Lite with the exposed siphon jet pointing up into the trap. Hopefully this time they executed it a little better.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks