Kohler Wellworth Cannister - Water won't fill tank (seal is new)

Users who are viewing this thread

Hank Young

Reaction score
OK, you are my last hope. I'm obviously overlooking something simple. I mean, it's a $128 toilet, right? So, 2 yr old Wellworth in a vacation home. When I arrived, slow filling. Took the valve apart, cleaned the diaphragm and outlet. Now there is enough water to fill a swimming pool in 20 mins. Hooked it back up to the inlet in the center of the cannister (on some models, they call it a Piston), and lo and behold, water runs, but the tank won't fill. Checked the seat on the cannister and it's tight. If I just fill the tank using the fill hose by bypassing the cannister, the tank will fill and there is no leaking. Cannister works just dandy to flush. So, just for the heck of it, bought a new "piston" (the little thing that fits down the center of the cannister and locks the cannister to the base). Nope. Same problem. What am I doing wrong? What have I overlooked? This is driving me nuts. Don't make me take this bowl out behind the barn and shoot it.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The tank fills from the bottom of the Fluidmaster fill valve. The bowl refills from the fill tube directed into the top of the canister.
Just pick up a new fill valve for that.

k-3999_8.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
While it may work out to install a new fill valve, it's probably the seal assembly, and you can replace that without tools for about 1/3rd the cost and annoyance of replacing the entire fill valve. If you don't get the right one, you'll likely end up wasting water as the bowl/tank refill rates will likely not be the same unless you buy the OEM version, or buy an adjustable refill. I'm not talking about just the level in the tank...while that is filling, it must also fill the bowl via that hose. If the ratios are not right, you'll either not get enough water in the bowl, or excess that will just be wasted on each flush. If the bowl is not full, it wont' flush properly on a reliable basis.

The part in the canister determines how soon the flush stops, and would normally only have to be replaced if it leaked the water out of the tank over time.

Hank Young

Reaction score
Thanks. Yes, it was the fill valve. For reasons that I will never be able to explain, I thought that the tube going from the top also somehow filled the tank. I didn't get that water to the tank flowed from the base of the fill valve, and the tube at the top just replenishes the bowl. Valve was bad, easy replacement, toilet is working perfectly. Sometimes, it's the simplest things...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks